all cr3001a-bk

Published on March 16th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Crosley Ranchero: Great Looks, Lacking Features

The 1950′s con­tin­ue to in­spire de­sign. Now, most of our staff (and a ma­jor­i­ty of our read­ers) weren’t yet around dur­ing the decade to ap­pre­ci­ate the style. But there’s no doubt that the old-fash­ioned, retro look grabs at­ten­tion. We’ve seen plen­ty of in­ter­est­ing in­te­ri­or de­sign and fash­ion that plays with the style of the era, whether they be fur­ni­ture re­pro­duc­tions or sim­ply vin­tage cloth­ing while wan­der­ing around Brook­lyn.

The lat­est from Crosley is the Ranchero, mod­erl CR3001A. A com­bi­na­tion ra­dio and iPod dock, it of­fers a lim­it­ed fea­ture set but serves up tunes with good looks. Ours was black, though red and white mod­els are avail­able, as well as a green one that ap­pears to be an Ur­ban Out­fit­ters ex­clu­sive. That last bit of in­for­ma­tion should tell you some­thing- this isn’t an au­dio­phile piece of hard­ware, but a hip show­piece. Vis­i­tors asked about it, but be­yond the pret­ty face, we have to ad­mit to be­ing dis­ap­point­ed.

We’ve seen Crosley gear be­fore- their Spin­nerette al­so put form over func­tion a bit but worked quite well. And we still bring out the Crosley Rev­o­lu­tion USB Turntable on oc­ca­sion, when we need to get our vinyl dig­i­tized. But the Ranchero felt a bit cheap- the knobs weren’t as sol­id as we would’ve liked con­sid­er­ing the price, and there was no re­mote, no in­ter­net con­nec­tiv­i­ty, no clock, and cer­tain­ly no wire­less or Air­play. The AM/FM ra­dio did pick up sig­nal and sta­tions rea­son­ably well, but au­dio was unim­pres­sive. We played back a few tracks from an iPod, in­clud­ing some clas­si­cal, hip-hop, and rock tracks and ev­ery­thing sound­ed a lit­tle fuzzy. Bass re­sponse was mid­dling, and sep­a­ra­tion as well. Pop mu­sic was pass­able, and jazz did sound re­spectable, but again we were look­ing for more oomph and clar­i­ty.

There is an aux­il­iary in­put port, for those who want to con­nect a de­vice be­sides an iPod or iPhone. But for near­ly $200, we would’ve liked a weight­i­er unit with warmer sound and bet­ter specs. The aes­thet­ics are great, and we cer­tain­ly like the look of the unit on our side table, but can’t rec­om­mend it for most users. Avail­able now.

Tags: , , ,