all swingline-stack-and-shred-60x-hands-free-paper-shredder3-original

Published on March 16th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Swingline Reinvents The Paper Shredder

Few tasks are quite so crit­i­cal to per­son­al se­cu­ri­ty, and so com­mon­ly over­looked, as doc­u­ment shred­ding. Whether it’s that old cred­it card, the stacks of mail, ac­count state­ments and bank in­for­ma­tion and ap­pli­ca­tions, the mound of pa­per pil­ing up is an easy tick­et to iden­ti­ty theft if not dis­posed of prop­er­ly. Even if you don’t work for a se­cret agen­cy, or a firm with spe­cial pro­tec­tion laws, your home busi­ness or even just per­son­al tax fil­ings are po­ten­tial­ly valu­able. And far too few peo­ple shred them, pos­si­bly be­cause of the has­sle.

Hence, the Swing­line Stack-and-Shred 80X. The line in­cludes oth­er mod­els as well- the 80 refers to the ap­prox­i­mate num­ber of sheets of pa­per that the unit can hold and shred at once. A 60X mod­el is the ba­sic ver­sion, and they of­fer up to a 500 sheet ca­pac­i­ty. Like most se­ri­ous shred­ders, it of­fers cross-cut ca­pa­bil­i­ty, mean­ing that in­stead of sim­ply turn­ing the pages in­to long thin strips, what comes out is some­thing clos­er to con­fet­ti. Cross-cut shred­ders of­fer a much high­er lev­el of pro­tec­tion; it’s pret­ty much im­pos­si­ble to re­con­struct a bag of tiny pieces.

OK, you say- I need a shred­der, but why would I choose this one? We’ve tak­en a look at a cou­ple of oth­ers, in­clud­ing one of­fer­ing a ver­ti­cal de­sign and al­ways fo­cus on a few ba­sic ques­tions and func­tions. Speed, size, and ca­pa­bil­i­ty mat­ter- you want some­thing fast, easy to tuck away or hide, and that re­quires lit­tle ef­fort or main­te­nance. And we’re hap­py to say that the Swing­line Stack-and-Shred rips apart most of the com­pe­ti­tion. Grant­ed, the price is high­er, but this is a shred­der in an­oth­er class with a fea­ture set that is im­pres­sive.

For starters, the au­to­mat­ic feed sys­tem means that you can set a large stack of doc­u­ments in­side and walk away. Come back a few min­utes lat­er, and in­stead of la­bo­ri­ous­ly feed­ing each sheet through, or even a cou­ple at a time, the unique feed­er mech­a­nism han­dles it for you. It’s not per­fect- we had trou­ble with fold­ed or creased pa­per, as well as non-stan­dard sizes- but for reg­u­lar let­ter pa­per in good con­di­tion, we met with in­fre­quent jams. You’ll need to take some care about ar­rang­ing that stack, and en­sur­ing that you’re not throw­ing in a ran­dom as­sort­ment, but we had few is­sues in re­al-world use and they were eas­i­ly han­dled. In test­ing, we could cre­ate jams pret­ty eas­i­ly- ei­ther by let­ting the dis­pos­al bin fill up or with mis­treat­ed or fold­ed pa­per. Our on­ly re­al wish is that the dis­pos­al bas­ket in­clude some mech­a­nism to en­sure an even lay­er of shred­der pa­per, as it does tend to col­lect to­wards the rear and then pre­vent ad­di­tion­al shred­ding.

Cred­it cards, pa­per clips, and sta­ples weren’t an is­sue, and the low pro­file size and shape mean that it can eas­i­ly slide un­der a desk. It looks a lot like a print­er, in fact, and al­most sleek. Plus the large ca­pac­i­ty 5-gal­lon bin means few­er trips to emp­ty. The Swing­line Stack-and Shred isn’t loud, thanks to the rel­a­tive­ly sealed cham­ber, but cer­tain­ly makes some noise. And, like any­thing with a bunch of blades, it isn’t light- but 20 pounds or so isn’t bad ei­ther. For around $200, you can buy the most ad­vanced shred­der that we’ve seen, a small price for in­for­ma­tion se­cu­ri­ty and cer­tain­ly a rea­son­able pre­mi­um for the con­ve­nience. It isn’t per­fect, but for those who han­dle most­ly reg­u­lar let­ter pa­per, it can save a lot of time. Avail­able now. And make sure you check out their Face­book page- they are run­ning a ‘Tax Time’ sweep­stakes and of­fer­ing lots of give­aways!

Tags: , ,