all squishable

Published on April 6th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Squishables: Say Hello To Our Not-So-Little Friends

We’re pret­ty sure it’s a rule of hu­man na­ture. Cud­dly wins. Wit­ness the rise of the in­ter­net, which ap­pears to con­sist large­ly of adorable cat pic­tures on some days. Lol­cats. Var­i­ous memes around chip­munks, squir­rels, and oth­er cute crea­tures. En­tire sites, sub­red­dits, and pho­to­blogs de­vot­ed to charm­ing pho­tog­ra­phy of an­i­mals. It’s prob­a­bly on­ly a mat­ter of time un­til you can 3D print your own ver­sions of the dai­ly “awww” at home, but un­til then, there are Squish­ables.

Sim­ply put, these are the hip­per, cuter stuffed an­i­mals you’ve al­ways imag­ined. Their cat­a­log is lengthy- al­most par­a­lyz­ing in it’s scope- but we’ve brought two of them in­to our homes and of­fices where they now serve as un­of­fi­cial mas­cots, peace­keep­ers, sur­pris­ing vis­i­tors and gen­er­al­ly run­ning amok.

The Squish­able T-Rex is clear­ly strug­gling with the mod­ern epi­dem­ic of obe­si­ty- as are per­haps many of the oth­ers- as they tend to­wards im­pres­sive­ly ro­tund shapes. Their spher­i­cal na­ture means they are cozy and com­fy as pil­lows and fun to throw about. Fif­teen inch­es turns out to be sur­pris­ing­ly big, enough to dwarf most oth­er stuffed an­i­mals we’ve col­lect­ed from con­ven­tions and such, which is on­ly fit­ting for the king of the di­nosaurs. Ours goes by the name of Fer­gu­son, and we loved the con­struc­tion- soft, plush in­te­ri­or, fuzzy out­side, cute lit­tle arms and legs and a tail. Ap­par­ent­ly de­signed in con­junc­tion with Ryan North of Di­nosaur Comics, this pho­to­genic beast on­ly has one down-side: he’s al­ways hun­gry. Make sure you check out the va­ri­ety of pic­tures on their site!

On a small­er scale, the Mi­ni Cthul­hu was si­mul­ta­ne­ous­ly scary and fluffy- a tough com­bi­na­tion for most crea­tures, per­haps, but not for this guy. As they say: “Yes he’s an abom­inable El­der God from be­fore the dawn
of time, but he’s al­so afraid of thun­der­storms
and small pup­pies”. Sev­en inch­es is still plen­ty of cute­ness, and though his eyes tend to get hid­den and make him a lit­tle an­noyed, ruf­fling his ten­ta­cles is a sure­fire cure for what­ev­er ails you. Some folks con­fuse the tiny wings for ears, but he doesn’t mind- it just means he’s un­der­es­ti­mat­ed, and there­fore all the more pow­er­ful.

Mi­nis run about $19, and the larg­er ones be­tween $38 and $44. They’ve held up well to a good deal of play, and for those in need of some­thing even larg­er, mas­sive bean bag mod­els are avail­able. Plus, there are mi­cros- an en­tire ecosys­tem of hug­gable col­lectibles, sure to bright­en any­one’s day.

Tags: ,