all master_sii167

Published on April 15th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Need Ice With That?

With all of our of­fice cock­tail mix­ing, we go through a fair bit of ice. And though it’s sim­ple enough to grab some at the store, it’s far more handy to be able to make it, in bulk, when need­ed. Sure, you might have an ice mak­er in your re­frig­er­a­tor, or a bunch of ice cube trays. But both of those meth­ods are fair­ly slow. Luck­i­ly, there’s a so­lu­tion, though ad­mit­ted­ly to a prob­lem that per­haps not many peo­ple have. In a pinch or for a par­ty, portable ice mak­ers are pret­ty nifty though.

The Sun­pen­town IM-120B is the first ice­mak­er that we’ve re­viewed. We’ve test­ed plen­ty of oth­er kitchen ap­pli­ances, even coun­ter­top dish­wash­ers and portable mi­crowaves, but noth­ing quite like this. We put the unit through some tests, and came away pret­ty sat­is­fied- es­sen­tial­ly, we eval­u­at­ed the ice out­put, the time re­quired, and the over­all de­sign and con­ve­nience. It’s not per­fect, and we did find it a bit noisy, but it makes ice fast and easy.

We liked that you can choose from three sizes, and it on­ly takes about 15 min­utes un­til a batch of ice is ready- im­pres­sive­ly fast, if you need some in a hur­ry. You don’t need a drain or any­thing- just add pow­er and wa­ter and watch it go. It can make up to 1.5 pounds of frozen wa­ter at a time, and though it’s pret­ty heavy and a lit­tle bulky at al­most 25 pounds, it can slide just about any­where when not in use. Avail­able in stain­less or black, it isn’t sexy, but it gets the job done quick­ly and ef­fi­cient­ly. Sun­pen­town’s site could use some work, but they do of­fer a wide ar­ray of oth­er ap­pli­ances and even sev­er­al mod­els of ice mak­ers if this one isn’t quite right for you.

Avail­able on­line for un­der $200.

Tags: ,