all 7983_terrorteapot1on

Published on April 20th, 2012 | by Greg

0

SUCK UK: Great Items For Your Flat… Pad… Home

You know those cute lit­tle bou­tiques, where you walk in­side and find your­self drawn to dozens of in­ven­tive lit­tle items, per­fect as gifts, and maybe that’s why you went in­side, but now that you’re there… We love shops like those, and we’re hap­py to find some ob­scure cre­ators who aren’t even wide­ly avail­able in stores here yet. Of course, the in­ter­net and e-com­merce have shrunk the world a bit, so you can now pur­chase the goods on­line and get them shipped any­where in the world. If you’re in Lon­don, though, def­i­nite­ly check out the SUCK UK flag­ship store in the OXO Tow­er, not far from some oth­er great de­sign­ers.

We’ve been us­ing four of their items, from small and dis­pos­able to a per­fect gift for the lit­er­ary in­di­vid­u­al who sim­ply can’t han­dle any more books. Let’s kick things off with their very sim­ple twist on the Post-It Note- shaped like flop­py disks, they come in a pack of three dif­fer­ent col­ors. Of course, you lose quite a bit of the writ­ing sur­face to the clever de­sign, so these are def­i­nite­ly for folks who are used to jot­ting down small notes and want to do so in style. Avail­able for about $12, and great for the geek in your life.

Our fa­vorite item of the group is the quite sub­ver­sive, and yet quintessen­tial­ly British, Ter­ror­ist Tea Pot. A black fab­ric bal­a­cla­va serves as a tea cozy, and the white teapot has a pair of paint­ed on eyes that align nice­ly with the holes in the mask. It looks a lit­tle bit sil­ly when ‘naked’, but al­ways gets a laugh when we make a pot of En­glish Break­fast and pour it to un­sus­pect­ing guests or vis­i­tors. It’s a 1.5 liter pot, which is good for five to six big cups, or up to ten small­er ones when us­ing fin­er grades of tea. You’ve like­ly seen and used teapots like this one- it’s fair­ly durable stoneware, with a de­cent han­dle. There isn’t a re­mov­able fil­ter, but there is a set of typ­i­cal small holes sep­a­rat­ing the cham­ber from the spout- they’ll work, but we would’ve liked a bas­ket for eas­i­er clean­ing and han­dling. The cozy def­i­nite­ly makes this one, and it’s avail­able for around $40.

Noth­ing says “Lon­don” like “um­brel­la”. That’s our im­pres­sion, at least. And if you’re tired of buy­ing the cheap ones on the street, or haven’t yet found the rain re­peller that feels per­fect for you, look no fur­ther. The Col­or Chang­ing Um­brel­la sad­ly doesn’t change the col­or of the wa­ter, or the world, but does go from plain to col­ored with a bit of rain. As with the teapot, the ba­sic um­brel­la func­tions are pret­ty ba­sic- you know, it col­laps­es and comes with a small bag that you’ll prob­a­bly lose im­me­di­ate­ly. The han­dle is fine, but not par­tic­u­lar­ly good. No, the on­ly rea­son you should buy this one over any oth­er is the fun bonus fea­ture. We con­fess that few seemed to no­tice the col­ors chang­ing, as the ef­fect doesn’t pop out to most peo­ple im­me­di­ate­ly, and it on­ly mod­i­fies the edges. Avail­able for about $30.

Fi­nal­ly, we’d be re­miss not to sug­gest some­thing for the book­worms out there. The Book Rest Lamp is a lit­tle house-shaped soft-glow light, per­fect for set­ting on your bed­side table, fold­ing a book over the top, and hav­ing your read­ing ma­te­ri­al handy for late night sto­ry­time. Grant­ed, some books work bet­ter than oth­ers- your hard­cov­er copy of In­fi­nite Jest would look a lit­tle odd, and it does feel a lit­tle lone­ly when un­cov­ered. Your book will get a bit warm, but that’s not a ma­jor is­sue. We liked the frost­ed glass for in­di­rect light, and the de­cent price- $60 seems com­plete­ly fair for a love­ly de­sign that can fit in a li­brary, study, or even liv­ing room.

Tags: , , , , ,