all 221382998

Published on April 24th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Delsey’s Helium Shadow: Ultralight Spinner

We’ve been do­ing some trav­el re­cent­ly, for con­ven­tions and work events- and there is plen­ty more on the hori­zon. And when we run off to some ex­ot­ic lo­cale, we try to test out new gear- jack­ets and out­er­wear, cer­tain­ly, but al­so lug­gage. Air­ports and air­planes, taxis and sub­ways make for some great testbeds, but lit­tle is more harsh than city side­walks and stairs. You need some­thing tough, and there are some great bags now avail­able that man­age to bal­ance dura­bil­i­ty, style, and the al­ways-im­por­tant weight fac­tor.

The Delsey He­li­um Shad­ow Car­ry-On Trol­ley Spin­ner is a hard­side poly­car­bon­ate bag, and makes an im­me­di­ate­ly pos­i­tive im­pres­sion. It’s su­per light, one of the light­est we’ve seen in this size, and fea­tures four of those mul­ti-di­rec­tion spin­ning wheels for max­i­mum ma­neu­ver­abil­i­ty. It al­so has a great tex­ture, and a metal­lic sheen, that grabs at­ten­tion and cer­tain­ly stood out. The zip­pers are great- re­cessed, self-heal­ing, and though the pulls are great, they are not quite fan­tas­tic (we were more im­pressed by those on an­oth­er piece of lug­gage with a re­view to come short­ly). The same is true of the wheels- these are pret­ty good, in­cred­i­bly speedy at first, but do wear down fair­ly quick­ly.

The han­dle pulls up with a sin­gle but­ton click, but wasn’t par­tic­u­lar­ly com­fort­able. Weight dis­tri­bu­tion on this does take some work, you may find your first pack­ing at­tempt tip­ping it over. The built-in TSA-ap­proved lock is nice, and worked well. And it glides smooth­ly, han­dling amaz­ing­ly well down aisles. But there are two ma­jor down­sides that left us frus­trat­ed: the in­te­ri­or of the bag looks and feels cheap. There is a lin­er, and a pret­ty poor com­pres­sion strap, as well as a sort of mesh com­part­ment. But it doesn’t feel well-fit­ted, and looks like an af­terthought. That said, if you don’t want much in the way of com­part­ments or pock­ets, and just want a sol­id bag that looks great and it su­per-light, this one is a good val­ue.

The Delsey He­li­um Shad­ow col­lec­tion is avail­able in sev­er­al col­ors, in­clud­ing blue, pur­ple, and plat­inum. And there are three sizes as well- we rec­om­mend step­ping up to the 26-inch, which has side han­dles, ver­sus the 21″ mod­els that do not- the lack of a side han­dle def­i­nite­ly made lift­ing it to over­head bins a bit tricky. Ex­pect to spend be­tween $100 and $250 or so, de­pend­ing on op­tions.

Tags: ,