all vario-w

Published on May 1st, 2012 | by Greg

0

Baratza’s Vario-W: Top-Of-The-Line Coffee Grinding

We en­joy mak­ing great cof­fee at home. Not ev­ery­one does- plen­ty of folks are fine with their freeze dried, pre-ground, bit­ter brew. There isn’t re­al­ly an ex­cuse any­more- most ev­ery cor­ner on the plan­et has been touched by the rise of the cof­fee house and de­cent ja­va is now pret­ty uni­ver­sal. This ar­ti­cle, and the love­ly piece of gear we’ve got on-hand to­day, are meant for the con­nois­seurs, the se­ri­ous caf­feine ad­dicts, those who aren’t us­ing a drip or perk pot and in­stead swear by Chemex or cold brew or pos­si­bly French press. That’s be­cause we’re work­ing with the smartest, fastest, sex­i­est cof­fee grinder that we’ve seen- but it’s al­so the cost of at least one of our writ­er’s first car.

The Baratza Vario-W pro­fes­sion­al-grade grinder is the sec­ond mod­el from the com­pa­ny that we’ve tried out. The sib­ling mod­el, the Vir­tu­oso, still gets heavy use in our kitchen. And we still love the look and feel, which is fair­ly sim­i­lar- sol­id mat­te plas­tic feed­er and hop­per, black and met­al col­ors. As you’d ex­pect, this is a burr grinder (much bet­ter than a blade grinder), and they aren’t just any burrs, ei­ther. These are Ger­man-made ce­ram­ic burrs, sep­a­rat­ed from the mo­tor to avoid heat­ing, and grind be­tween 1.6 and 2.2 grams per sec­ond with con­sis­tent re­sults in a broad range (230 mi­crons to 1150 mi­crons). There are about 230 grind set­tings, al­low­ing you to di­al in the pre­cise mea­sure­ments you want- this is overkill, of course, but you can’t help but ap­pre­ci­ate the sheer lev­el of ad­justa­bil­i­ty.

Now, we didn’t get our calipers and mea­sure. We did try a range of sizes, and a va­ri­ety of beans as well- some roasts are dry­er than oth­ers, some can even be a bit sticky, and we want­ed to see how the Vario-W would han­dle them. With a few bags of fresh­ly roast­ed cof­fee from com­pa­nies like The Roast­ing Plant and Think Cof­fee in Man­hat­tan (both of whom we high­ly rec­om­mend), we ran sev­er­al pounds of cof­fee through. And what we found was great news for se­mi-pros out there who have been look­ing for the holy grail of burr grinders- this is com­mer­cial qual­i­ty at a fair price, and can han­dle even fine espres­so with aplomb, and the re­sults were per­fect­ly even and pre­cise at ev­ery step we tried.

Clean­ing still isn’t easy, but it’s no worse than any oth­er grinder, and at least ev­ery­thing is durable. The burrs are fair­ly hard to re­move, though we man­aged with some ef­fort. The foot­print is small, con­sid­er­ing the pow­er of the grinder- it’s fair­ly tall, but not very wide, so works well even in a small kitchen where coun­ter­top space is at a pre­mi­um. A good burr grinder is not go­ing to be whis­per-qui­et, and this one will prob­a­bly not sur­prise- it’s not loud, but def­i­nite­ly runs at a vol­ume that’s like­ly to wake up some­one in the next room. The LCD screen and front pan­el would prob­a­bly con­fuse a first-time us­er, since the con­trols are di­vid­ed in­to macro and mi­cro ad­just­ments and there are but­tons for weight. Which is the oth­er nifty things about this one that adds to the “cool fac­tor” but al­so to the price- the built-in scale that is ac­cu­rate to .1 grams.

The idea is sound: you sim­ply en­ter a de­sired weight in­stead of turn­ing a knob and guess­ing on an ap­prox­i­mate of time to grind, which of­ten re­sults in wast­ed grounds or need­ing to fid­dle with the timer re­peat­ed­ly. In prac­tice, it does take some get­ting used to, but for those look­ing for pre­ci­sion and con­sis­ten­cy, this is def­i­nite­ly the grinder of your dreams. Set­tings are saved, so you can fig­ure out your pre­cise amount of grounds, at the ex­act de­sired size, and then hit a but­ton. The Baratza Vario-W runs about $550, and is avail­able wide­ly on­line and in stores now. We wish the grounds wouldn’t stick to the hop­per, but we’re hap­py to end ran­dom­ly guess­ing at our morn­ing brew and run some re­peat­able ex­per­i­ments.

Tags: , , ,