all brinno_peephole_viewer_phv1325-01

Published on May 2nd, 2012 | by Greg

0

Brinno’s PeepHole Viewer: See Clearly Now

If you live in an apart­ment, chances are your door has one of those old-school glass peep­holes. You’ve used them at ho­tels, and they are pret­ty sim­ple. They pro­vide you with a way to see who is knock­ing or ring­ing the door­bell, but have a few down­sides. First, when you do so, the per­son on the oth­er side can tell that you’re home. And they are of­ten at the wrong height for chil­dren, or el­der­ly, or re­al­ly tall peo­ple. Plus, it can be hard to see through them, and if you are vi­sion-im­paired, a reg­u­lar peep­hole can be use­less in iden­ti­fy­ing who is out­side.

The Brin­no Peep­Hole View­er at­tempts to fix these flaws with tech­nol­o­gy, and suc­ceeds to a de­cent de­gree. It isn’t per­fect- it in­tro­duces some new flaws, as you might ex­pect- but it works pret­ty well. As a gad­get, it al­so gets at­ten­tion, and is sim­ple enough to use that any­one can do so. It won’t re­al­ly fix one of the ma­jor is­sues- those too tall or short to reach the peep­hole won’t be much bet­ter off- but it does help rem­e­dy the oth­er flaws. We’ve checked out an­oth­er piece of their dig­i­tal imag­ing gad­getry be­fore- the Gar­den Watch Cam- and this seems a nat­u­ral ex­ten­sion.

We in­stalled it in min­utes, in an apart­ment we bor­rowed for the tests (our of­fices don’t have a peep­hole). Test­ing it with­out in­stalling it first re­sults in poor re­sults, as warned- it’s meant for the op­tics of a peep­hole. They of­fer two mod­els, an ad­vanced one with knock and mo­tion de­tec­tion, as well as a ba­sic no-frills mod­el that re­quires you to push a but­ton. Bat­ter­ies are re­quired, but the two AAs are help­ful­ly in­clud­ed. Some quick checks are nec­es­sary to make sure that you can use this one- your door should be be­tween 1-3/8″ to 2-1/4″ thick (most are).

We ad­mit that we weren’t im­pressed at first- the im­age qual­i­ty is pret­ty poor, thanks to the fact that it’s on­ly a 1.3 MP cam­era do­ing the imag­ing, and the video isn’t ex­act­ly high res­o­lu­tion or su­per-clear. The screen it­self is fine, and you can press the but­ton a sec­ond time for a zoomed in view (that was not re­al­ly use­ful in most cas­es, but kind of fun­ny). The sys­tem com­pen­sates and cor­rects for the fish­eye dis­tor­tion that is typ­i­cal in peep­holes, but this seemed to re­duce the field of view, so kids and folks to the sides are less vis­i­ble than be­fore. Al­so, we found the im­ages pret­ty dark and dim, which was un­for­tu­nate. The Peep­Hole view­er is on­ly avail­able in one style right now, black and met­al, and looks sleek but a lit­tle odd on some doors. All in all, for those who are sat­is­fied with their peep­hole, this is nice but nec­es­sary- but if you’ve been frus­trat­ed for any rea­son, def­i­nite­ly give this unit a try. Avail­able for un­der $100, on­line.

Tags: ,