all uh70400

Published on July 21st, 2012 | by Greg

0

Hoover’s WindTunnel Air: Multi-Purpose Vacuum

We con­fess- we’ve al­ways want­ed to have a wind tun­nel. It’d be a great way to test out gear, put out­door stuff like tents and cloth­ing through some gale-force sim­u­lat­ed storms. Al­though to­day’s prod­uct won’t quite make that wish a re­al­i­ty, it did do a pret­ty good job of tak­ing air­flow and set­ting it to good use. A sol­id vac­u­um is a rare thing, and if you’re still us­ing an old­er mod­el, you’ve got a lot to learn about some ma­jor ad­vances in tech­nol­o­gy that have made to­day’s vac­u­ums eas­i­er to use and more pow­er­ful than ev­er.

Hoover’s Wind­tun­nel Air Bag­less Up­right (mod­el UH70400), is a great ex­am­ple of how to take a sim­ple-sound­ing tech­nol­o­gy and re­fine it. It’s well-priced against com­peti­tors, and though it doesn’t of­fer quite the same lev­el of pow­er or build qual­i­ty as more ex­pen­sive mod­els, it’s an amaz­ing val­ue. Up­right vac­u­ums take up a bit more space, of course, but this is a great bal­ance, weigh­ing on­ly twelve or so pounds, and able to fit nice­ly in­to even small­er clos­ets. Bag­less vac­u­ums of­fer def­i­nite ad­van­tages over those that re­quire bags- less to buy and thus sav­ings over time (es­pe­cial­ly with wash­able fil­ters, like those on this mod­el), plus they tend to still be fair­ly easy to clean (dump­ing and clean­ing a cham­ber ver­sus just toss­ing away a bag).

We liked that the Wind­tun­nel worked great even on rea­son­ably thick car­pets, some­thing that many vac­u­ums have trou­ble with, thanks prob­a­bly to their ‘mul­ti-cy­clonic’ tech­nol­o­gy. There isn’t a pow­ered head avail­able, so it isn’t the best op­tions for larg­er hous­es with lots of car­pet and se­ri­ous stains, but pet hair and dirt were re­moved like a charm, with a sin­gle pass for the most part. The cord is plen­ty long for most peo­ple (30 feet), and cord­ed vac­u­ums are still much bet­ter than their bat­tery-pow­ered coun­ter­parts. The at­tach­ments are tools are de­cent- not amaz­ing, but rea­son­ably good, and they stayed put on the unit when put away, avoid­ing a prob­lem we’ve seen on some ma­chines. The hose did seem prone to com­ing loose, but some care­ful tight­en­ing seemed to fix the is­sue. Han­dling was er­gonom­ic- which is to say, ad­justable and ca­pa­ble of many de­grees of tilt­ing.

All in all, this is one of the bet­ter gen­er­al-pur­pose vac­u­ums that we’ve seen. Larg­er and more ex­pen­sive mod­els do of­fer more pow­er, and small­er non-up­right units might be a bet­ter fit for stu­dents or folks with small stu­dios, but most folks will find the Hoover Wind­Tun­nel Air do be just right. Avail­able on­line and in stores for around $150.

Tags: , , , ,