Gadgets 1064

Published on June 15th, 2010 | by Greg

0

For the Love of Whitening and the Love of Your Gums

Oral hygiene was at the top of my list when I picked my soulmate. We don’t know about you but lip locking with someone who belongs in the backwoods of Arkansas with minimal teeth and pliers as their dentist was not what we had in mind. When I initially used a pulsating toothbrush, my dentist gave me all the reinforcement I needed to keep on using it. My teeth looked the best they ever had and relatively little cleaning or dental instruments jabbed in my mouth was needed. However, I went back to using typical toothbrushes for awhile, and was delighted to reunite with another oscillating one known as the Supersmile Series II LS45 Advanced Sonic Pulse Toothbrush. From this point on it will be referred to as simply the Supersmile. Not only does this use 30,000 bristle strokes per minute but it also whitens your teeth in the process.

After using it for the recommended 28 days (the time it takes to make a noticeable difference), there was love in my heart for this permanent fixture to my bathroom countertop. Now, my eating habits are such that I don’t typically drink red wine, nor do I engage in tobacco, but I do drink tea on a daily (sometimes 3x daily) so I knew my chompers could use some improvement.

What we noticed the most was a vast enhancement to my gum line. It looked and felt cleaner and less irritated than it normally does. The pulse was also not too debilitating and I didn’t feel as if my gums had been rubbed raw after using. The Supersmile also made me start brushing for the recommended time of 2 minutes which I have carelessly ignored until now (it does let you know in 30 second intervals so you can switch to another area in your mouth). I also felt a difference in my mouth as it felt refreshingly… cleaner.

As far as teeth whitening goes, my teeth didn’t look whiter frankly, but healthier. Teeth whitening is a variable process and mine have been professionally whitened, so from that standpoint, there wasn’t much brightness or whiteness left to see. But we also tried on those who haven’t experienced bleaching and they noticed a difference in the whiteness of their teeth. Just don’t expect major enhancements.

Compared to the Sonicare Elite e7300 with a $100-$120 pricetag and similar features, the $75 or so price on Amazon seemed like a fair deal for whiter teeth and less bacteria and plaque. It might not offer all of the bells and whistles, but offers a more complete system- gum, floss, toothpaste- that can work well together.