Indoors 759

Published on December 4th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Haan Steam Cleans Nearly Anything

Yesterday, we put our lives in order with bar codes. Now, we’re here to share another secret tool that you can use to make life a little easier, and cleaner. The Haan MS-30 Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner offers a fair bit of steam power, with plenty of attachments included that make it capable in quite a few situations.

For those who aren’t familiar with steam cleaners, they offer quite a few benefits over other methods of cleaning, though they have some restrictions as well. This model isn’t meant for use on carpets, for instance, but instead on hard surfaces like wood, tile, stone, and the like. You can also use it on walls or countertops, and since it shoots out water at above-boiling temperatures from twelve jets, it kills 99.9% of germs like e. coli or salmonella. Our favorite use was on grout, where it managed to handle nasty grime with ease, and the extending pole allowed us to reach even tiles fairly high up.

You can use straight tap water- no chemicals necessary- but can only use it for about 30 minutes at a time, which was enough for most of our cleaning sessions. It takes about three minutes to heat up, and looks and feels quite a bit like a vacuum- the unit offers onboard storage for the various attachments, and is simple enough for anyone to use. It felt reasonably sturdy, and we liked the super-solid tires and durable hoses. The pads are key to the experience, and depending on the surface and how regularly you clean, can get dirty pretty quickly, but you can wash and reuse them. Floors varied in the amount of time it took to dry, largely depending on the pads and dirtiness/thoroughness.

Overall, the unit is a great balance of size, power, and features, offering plenty for germophobes and neat lovers to appreciate. At $180 or so via Amazon, you can get steam cleaning for a reasonable price, in a cute and fairly small package.