Gadgets 135

Published on April 21st, 2006 | by Greg

0

Thermohawk’s Totally Touchless Thermometer

Thermometer’s aren’t just for fevers anymore. You need one to monitor your overclocked computer, you need another to determine whether that water is too hot or just right for brewing tea, and you might as well have another to settle bets on just how cold it is outside.

Or you could just carry around the Thermohawk 200 Infrared, about the size and shape of a small laser pointer- and it even clips onto your key ring. Fast and simple to use, simply point the device at an object and press the button. In no time at all (via voodoo magic or invisible beams) the little LCD readout will give you the temperature.

Does it work? Absolutely- though the closer we were to our subject, the more accurate we found it to be. The Thermohawk 200 can measure between minus 27 and 230 degrees F, and the included batteries work for quite some time- there is even a little battery meter on the readout, which seems unnecessary but nice.

OK, we admit it- there are endless uses, but not a ton of obvious good ones. And the price seems a bit steep, at $60 to $70. But, considering that it managed to work even after a brief dunk in the (122 degree) coffee we were measuring, it’s a pretty durable and handy gadget. We’re thinking about doing a piece on buffet temperatures- testing the temp of buffet food simply by palming the Thermohawk and walking pas the trays. Any other ideas?