Gadgets 605

Published on October 3rd, 2009 | by Greg

0

iLuv and iHome Clock, Dock, Speaker Your iPhone and More

The number of iPod/iPhone docks, speakers, chargers, and cases that are available are staggering. For as many iGadgets as we’ve looked at over the years, it’s possible that this is the first clock. We’ve discussed wireless radios that have a clock and alarm built in, but so far this is the first where the primary function is to be a clock. So, with no further ado, we give you the iLuv Double Play iMM173.

This alarm clock has a nice size display, and the ability to charge two iPods or one iPod and one iPhone at the same time. Our iLuv synced up with our iPhone as soon as we settled it into the dock, there was no need to set the time at all. We had multiple choices for the alarm, anything we had stored on our iPhone, a buzzer or FM radio. It does all of the things you would expect from an alarm clock, like dimmer control, back-up battery power (AAA batteries), as well as a remote control that attached to the unit with a magnet. We didn’t experience any problems with the alarm not going off when it was supposed to, even when we specified two different times. The sound quality was decent, better with our iPhone than the FM radio, but that’s almost certainly due to our location. We were even able to stream Pandora over our wireless network! It fits nicely on the night stand, and doesn’t shine so bright that it keeps anyone awake. Overall we were quite pleased with the whole thing, aside from the pretty bland name. The iLuv retails for $100 or less. If only it could have handled two iPhones at the same time (a feature available in the upcoming iMM183).

Now we’ll add one more to our repertoire of sound systems. The iHome iP29 is a cute, compact portable audio system. When plugged in it will charge your iPhone or iPod (the only Apple MP3 player not compatible with this is the shuffle), while it’s playing, or you can use it with 4 AA batteries for the times when you are not near an electricity source. We particularly enjoyed having the iP29 at the beach; it’s easy to carry in the beach bag, doesn’t weigh much and has a water resistant case. We didn’t expect such a great sound out of such a little package, but the iP29 delivers. In a regular room the clarity and volume was really much more in keeping with a larger system, and outdoors we had enough volume to listen to music while playing frisbee. iHome built this portable system so that even though it’s small, it’s sturdy and durable, making it ideal to take along for most outdoor activities. Expect to get around 4 hours of use if you’re using batteries, at reasonable volumes. We might’ve liked rechargeable batteries, and some customization options, but liked this easy zip and go portable speaker system. The iP29 will run around $80 and can be purchased from Apple or Amazon.