Outdoors 576

Published on September 23rd, 2009 | by Greg

0

Bags Aplenty From Timbuk2, Boblbee, and Ogio

We love to travel. Because we love to travel, we also love when we have really good, functional ways to carry our stuff, and allow us to look good when doing so. To that end, we’re happy to present three great options to help you travel in an efficient, stylish way.

First up is the bag most people are going to recognize right away. The Timbuk2 Commute 2.0 Messenger bag is an outstanding choice for urban and suburban exploration. It’s made of ballistic nylon, has a waterproof TPU front flap, waterproof rubber bottom, and corduroy-lined TSA compliant (hooray!!) laptop compartment. There are an abundant number of pockets and compartments to hold everything you need on a bus, train, plane or on foot. We love this bag, especially in crowded and notoriously damp San Francisco streets. Never once was there a worry that our beloved electronic equipment would be too far out of reach, or in danger of getting wet. Timbuk2 has made this bag available in a wide and expanding selection of colors and sizes, so you’re sure to find one that meets your daily bag needs- ours was a combination they call Army/Spinach/Army in the large size, and was quite dirt/water-resistant, and the perfect size for larger laptop-carriers. The Timbuk2 Commute 2 retails for $120 and is available through their website, online retailers and in many department and sporting goods stores.

The Boblbee Velocity is sure to appeal to anyone who rides a bike, scooter or motorcycle, or anyone with an eye for really neat design. This bag is very lightweight, yet super-strong and sturdy, made out of an EVA laminate that feels and looks great. It’s a molded hard-shell bag with enough padding on the back and slightly-elastic straps to be quite comfortable even in daily use, and the material is also nicely reflective. At first glance it doesn’t seem like it would hold much, but in reality it holds a small laptop (we tested it with a 13” MacBook) with ease, and still has plenty of room for other things. The shape of the bag also served to hold the computer in place without the need for an additional compartment. There’s a small pocket that held our iPhone in very accessible place, so there was no digging around in the bottom of the bag for it. The nice people at Boblbee also thought to include a mesh bag that attaches to the front of the bag with a bungee system. The bag actually unzips to expand it’s capacity, though getting it unzipped was a little sticky. When zipped up, the zipper is completely closed in, and appears to be water-tight, so it’s to be expected that a little muscle was required to get it open. If you use this bag to carry a laptop though, be aware that your computer won’t be padded. The idea here is that the bag is crush-resistant enough that padding isn’t necessary. We carried ours with confidence that our equipment was safe, and though we didn’t try leaping off of any motorcycles, we dropped the bag and kicked it around without a scuff. The Boblbee is a bit more difficult to find, as it’s made in Sweden. It retails for around $235 USD ($159 Euros), and can be found in limited locations in Nevada, Georgia and Southern California. We would suggest using the store locator on their website, as most of their distributors have online inventory as well. Funny name, fantastic bag, in red (as ours was), black, or white.

Last, but certainly not least, is our bag for longer trips. We are suckers for cool gadgets here at Truly Obscure, and OGIO didn’t disappoint. The OGIO Bus Travel Bag is really two bags in one. There is a carry-on sized bag that attaches to the front of the bag with magnets and clips and is suitable for holding anything that one might want to have close by on a plane, train, or as the name of the bag suggests, a bus. You can pull the smaller bag off with an extremely satisfying pull and a few solid clicks. We really can’t express how cool this is. The larger part of the bag has sturdy over-sized wheels, a retractable Pullman handle and neoprene grips. This bag is meant to be carried on entirely, instead of needing to be checked, and they say that it is the maximum sized allowed (and we believe it). We love this, since it seems so many airlines are now charging for each checked bag. The OGIO Bus will also hold enough to fit the name- the average person can pack what they need for several days, and possibly even up to a week, away from home. The construction on this bag is solid, and the wheels handled uneven sidewalks and curbs with no problem- some of the best wheels we’ve tested. Extra handles make carrying easy, 7500 cubic inches of space makes this among the largest of bags we’ve tried- and the built-in SLED system which they claim helps equalize the load, actually does! The OGIO Bus Travel Bag is available in a price range between $250-$300, from online retailers like BagKing.com or Luggage.com, or by using the store locator on the OGIO website for places near you. Our was a distinctive color called Bruno Plaid that made our bag stand out quite clearly, though Black, Brown Plaid, and an interesting textured version called Icon Army are also available.