Indoors 91

Published on January 9th, 2006 | by Greg

0

Pop Chocolates- Godiva Gone Fizzy

Think PopRocks. Think Godiva chocolate. Doesn’t seem like a match made in heaven, perhaps. Which is why I think Willy Wonka snuck into the Godiva plant, because one of their latest sets of truffles combines these two types of candy.

They’re Pop Chocolates, and they’re not bad- nothing to make Violet turn violet, say. It tastes like Godiva’s excellent chocolate, for about fifteen seconds. Then, all of a sudden, your mouth starts crackling. A reviewer passed these to some unknowing friends, and they made quite a scene- complimenting the taste, and then becoming a little angry at the joke before realizing that they weren’t going to foam or anything. And then laughing, remembering the PopRocks and Coca Cola urban legends of their youth.

Anyway, it’s a clever gimmick but ultimately simply that. As a piece of high-end nostalgia (around $1.50 each, but they are on sale now) it works, but they should’ve made them champagne flavored: fizzy chocolate doesn’t seem all that appealing. Now if only they could make me float…