Indoors 264

Published on December 16th, 2008 | by Greg

0

Neater, Handier, More Productive… in the Shower, with simplehuman

In a time of infinite choice in your hair salon products, bath soaps, and loofahs, you may accrue more products than your shower or bath allows for. In my case, my boyfriend accrues delicate, high-end soaps like a Lush Sea Vegetable soap, a Lush Jasmine and Honeysuckle soap, and perhaps an obscure farmer’s market soap on top of that, whereas I like a simple and cheap Dr. Bronner’s. He chooses an Herbal Essences shampoo and I choose two organic shampoo and conditioner combos, so I can rotate. Not to mention that the Hilton has occasionally contributed to our collection. Hence the need for the simplehuman Tension Shower Caddy, which provides convenient shower shelving for your collection of Oil of Olay soaps and organic avocado shampoos.

The shower caddy we tested out is expandable and adjustable. It was able to fit our very high ceiling and can be placed on the floor or, as we did, on our bathtub corner. It has three slightly different and height-adjustable shelves and a very handy easy-to-reach soap dish hanging off the side. Additionally, it has lots of thoughtful little add-ons for different types of showerers, including a toothbrush holder and a washcloth or loofah hanger. Nonetheless, a lot of thought has obviously been put into the design.

Comparing it to other shower devices, it is much steadier. A previous shower caddy we’ve tried was a hanging device that relied on balance to stay upright. Needless to say, when actual items were removed from the contraption, the whole thing tipped slightly, often causing the whole collection of items to fall to the bathtub floor. Despite my constant fear that it will indeed fall, the grip on both the top and bottom are very solid. It has not fallen, shifted, or let items fall in the time we’ve tested it and it works as a stand-in for actually installing something into your bathroom.

While I am sure that many house owners can and do find this product useful, it really seems ideal for modern-day apartment living. This device means that you can sidestep installing something into your temporary unit. And, well, if my boyfriend and I can’t even agree on the same soaps when we have the same budget, surely roommates sharing an apartment are doomed.

Though each bathroom is different, the shower caddy blended in well with our surrounding tile. And with its additional organizing features, the Tension Shower Caddy made the bathroom look much tidier. Since the company, simplehuman, seems to specialize in organizing devices, that is no surprise. Available online, and in stores, for $120.