Gadgets 76

Published on November 30th, 2005 | by Greg

0

Relaxing Holidays

Hanging up decorations, carrying presents, high-impact shopping- the holidays are anything but relaxing. All the more reason to relieve some stress, and massage your neck, feet, and body with any of these products from Homedics.

They seem to have a stranglehold on the “personal massager” line- and that’s because they manage to make decently effective, fairly inexpensive equipment. Their units range from the high-end with all of the bells and whistles (bells=fully adjustable speed, whistles=heat) to the more basic “just vibrate already”.

We tried out their SQUSH neck pillow, comfortable and fairly relaxing- though loud. It takes 2 C batteries, can operate in fast or slow mode, and is filled with those really fun beads. Warning- it doesn’t work so well as a regular pillow, but is nice for a massage during a movie.

They also make a FootPleaser, an ultra deep kneading foot massager, with one speed, and both hot and cold modes. It’s great for tired feet, though only works on the soles of the feet (instead of a more full-foot design)- counter rotating, free floating ball bearings do a surprisingly good job of loosening up your heels.

Finally, we got some exercise using their Therapist Select Compact Percussion Action Massager with Heat, a long name for a fairly large, fairly heavy handheld device. It works wonders on neck and back muscles, but is hard to use yourself due to the weight and bulk. The heat is nice, as are the interchangeable heads, and the cord is long enough to reach quite a ways (though a retractable cable would’ve been great).

Take off some of the stress this holiday and try one of the many Homedics products- but test them first so you can figure out which will help you most!