Gadgets 74

Published on November 29th, 2005 | by Greg

0

Fire is Overrated

Candles are great- romantic, cheap, easy lighting. They are also fire hazards, dangerous for children, pretty much useless outdoors, messy, and smoky.

Enter the Candela – sure, electric lights are nothing new (thanks, Edison). But the Candela packages a nice, soothing light in a sturdy, translucent plastic with a rechargeable battery that gives it plenty of juice. Heavy enough to be stable anywhere, but as light as a cellphone, these aren’t quite powerful enough to read by- but are perfect for walking around the house at night or spicing up a bedroom. The neatest part about Candelas (and Candeloos, the brightly colored and cutely shaped children’s version) is their recharging system- four of the Candelas or Candeloos sit loosely on a small base to recharge. Vessel, the manufacturer, calls it “SafeCharge”, and it’s a really cool contactless system. Also, if the recharging base loses power, the Candelas automatically turn on, allowing you to find them in an emergency. Several sets are available from 2 to 10 lamps and they cost between $49 and $399 depending on the number of lamps you want.

Throw away your candles (unless they’re scented, as of yet there aren’t any scented Candelas), and try these simple, useful lights!