Gadgets 353

Published on April 9th, 2009 | by Greg

0

A Robot Revolution Starts With… Litter Boxes?!

We’re suckers for anything robotic here at Truly Obscure. We have robot artwork and have robots that clean our floors. But robots that take care of our cat litter? Absolutely. Nobody likes cleaning out a kitty litter box; it’s really the least pleasant part of cat ownership. (Hairballs and the inability to wear anything black around shedding cats are right up near the top of that list as well.) When we found out that there was a robot-style litter box that cleaned itself the answer to our litter box woes was clear.

There was uncertainty whether the Truly Obscure cats would use the Litter Robot. Both cats are quite young, just under a year old, and extremely skittish. Nobody expected the transition to go smoothly. We were all pleasantly surprised that both cats switched to the Litter Robot with little to no complaint. (One might wonder how a cat complains- and we can tell you with confidence that it involves days under the couch.) We have gone from daily cleaning of the littler box to simply removing the bag when it’s full and replacing it with a new bag. Life is good.

We were worried that it would be complicated to set up, but it was really as simple as taking it out of the box, setting the top part on the bottom part and plugging it in. We didn’t have to change the type of litter we used, though the unit does require clumping litter. In fact, we now go through far less litter, maybe half as much! The Litter Robot is not unlike a front loading clothes washing machine it it’s action. It is pressure activated, and on a timer- eight minutes after use it cycles through to clean out the waste. The globe rolls all the way over, and then all the way back, moving through a series of grates and flaps. It’s not super quiet, but not so noisy that it interrupts other activities in the room.

The Litter Robot is certainly costlier than a regular litter box, at $329. Over a long period of time we expect that it will pay for itself, due to the significantly reduced amount of litter that is used. We are also fans of the fact that there is an eco-model which is made out of 100% recycled plastic. It comes with a 90-day guarantee, so if your cats don’t transition as well as ours did you’re not stuck with it. Refurbished models as well as incentives on cost and shipping can be found on the Litter Robot website.