Gadgets 220

Published on November 9th, 2008 | by Greg

0

Say Hi to Haier’s Handy Dishwasher

The HDT18PA won’t be winning any fashion awards. It uses a fair amount of energy and water, and was at first a bit of a pain to hook up.

But we’ve given Haier America HDT18PA Space Saver Compact Dishwasher a couple of weeks of testing and though it may not be perfect, it’s amazingly helpful. Fast, capable, sturdy, fairly quiet, and just the right size.

We here at TrulyObscure HQ hate doing dishes, but city living has left us an office without a dishwasher… and no easy location to install one either. Haier to the rescue. After unboxing the unit and reading the instructions though, we realized that our knight in shining metal had some drawbacks.

The unit is fairly heavy, meaning that you don’t want to move the dishwasher around all that often or put it on a less-than-solid counter. You need to have an outlet handy, and a window handy for the exhaust pipe, and a sink faucet handy- and the cords, though sizeable, strictly limit potential locations. You need to be able to get fairly hot tap water or the washer won’t work so well. And you need to be careful unpacking the unit, removing all of the hidden tape, few pieces of which are well-labeled or mentioned in the manual.

Hooking it up to your kitchen tap is likely pretty simple- unscrew the filter that is on most faucets, screw the new adapter on. Now you can simply attach the quick-release hose, turn on the faucet, and all should be well… except that it can be really easy to mis-thread the adapter, and that releasing the hose will almost always spray some water around. Once you learn the quirks- where to put the detergent (just on the door), how to attach the cords, which dishes work best where- the Haier America HDT18PA Space Saver Compact Dishwasher is super-handy.

For the price (around $220 street) and the size, it’s hard to beat. When the washer beeps, the dishes are clean and dry, and no major pre-rinse required. And we don’t need to look for new offices. Now if it could only automatically load the dishes for us, and maybe put them away, and perhaps… well, maybe next model.