Gadgets 287

Published on January 19th, 2009 | by Greg

0

goLITE Blu: Light Away the Blues?

We really wish that we could look at a light for a few minutes a day and it would make things better. But that isn’t quite what Philips claims- they say instead that light therapy can make a difference, and help improve mood and energy levels. We’ve done stranger things in the name of happiness- can staring in the general direction of a blue light really help?

First off, the goLITE BLU is easy to use. Small, cute, and with a clean design, we had no trouble finding a place for it. The clock is handy, and the whole thing feels kind of futuristic- like a concept design render brought to life. The internal rechargeable battery lasts quite a while, and it’s easy to tell when to recharge thanks to the handy little icon. The controls are touch sensitive, allowing you to adjust brightness, and the included carrying case is nice for travelers (as is the alarm function, allowing you to wake to light).

Here in California, light isn’t much of an issue. Our winter, as we write this in mid-January, has temperatures in the low-70s during the daytime and plenty of sun. Of course, in some other locales (Seattle, perhaps, or other cloudier places), the lack of sunlight might very well be an issue- the cause of winter doldrums, cloudy moods, and the like. But we did our best to test it- on rainy days, dark mornings- and we think that there is something to the theory. On days when we were missing sunlight and feeling stuck inside, turning on the light and setting it near the computer monitor or TV definitely had a noticeable effect on alertness. It wasn’t a cup of coffee, but was probably healthier.

Of course, NASA and even the National Institutes of Health agree, apparently, on the potential benefits. And if you miss sunlight, or feel a bit depressed because of the season, we’re pretty sure that a light such as the Philips goLITE BLU might help. It’s a bit pricey, at $250, but probably worth it simply for the space-age design.