Indoors 23

Published on January 10th, 2006 | by Greg

0

Pink, Bubbly Seating

In the age-old style of dormitories and parties across town, this package showed up on my door filled with memories from the past. Plastic furniture was never my thing, but I know a lot of super-cool freshmen really dug the “it’s inflatable and it’s furniture” thing. Personally, I always dug the “it’s cardboard and it’s furniture” thing, but to each their own.

The chair: sturdy, bubbly, close to the ground and PINK! looks like it should be one of those super comfy, fight-over-who-gets-to-sit-there pieces of furniture. Instead the chair encourages you to sit in an upright position, not the laid back posture one might assume. So, ergonomically speaking (yeah, I know, the word is no longer cool because people actually know what it means now), the chair wasn’t quite right.

The large bubble in the back part of the chair did provide some nice back support for that good posture I am always disinclined to take. But since there is no upper back support it’s still uncomfortable and almost awkward, leaving me to believe the bubble chair is mostly intended as a piece to complement the decor. The company where we found this item, Realm Dékor, has it listed as such: a $50 home accessory, along with other interesting items like Japanese “floating bubbles” to place in vases and polka-dotted throws.

My world view holds that people buy inflatable furniture because it’s cheap and portable; easy to throw out when college, (or the partying) is over. I was intrigued by the design, but it’s tough to make it work outside of the dorm. So, unless you’re really into that style, then keep shopping for a cheaper or comfier version of this inflatable item. On the upside it does come in pink.