Gadgets 16

Published on February 8th, 2006 | by Greg

0

For Teeth- and Locks

If you're like us, you don't rank dental hygiene very high on the to-do list. It's a chore, and besides, they'll have some cool bacteria that cleans our teeth soon and all we'll need to do is drink some Coke or something each day.

Until then, dentists recommend flossing and we are, quite frankly, scared of our dentist. But we used all of the regular floss on magic tricks, fishing expeditions, and tripwires- so we opted to try the Oral-B Hummingbird (battery included) to meet our dentist's requirements.

The Hummingbird is small, fairly easy to hold, and effective. I wouldn't quite say it makes flossing fun, but it is a little faster and less painful. If you have sensitive gums, the vibrating device is supposed to sooth them- and it kind of did, but again, that's like saying that this type of needle will hurt less.

The disposable attachments were nice, and come in two varieties: mint flavored dental picks and "ergonomic flossers". Unfortunately, replacements can be a little hard to find in stores, and are a tad expensive (around twenty cents each).

Besides, if you decide not to continue using the Hummingbird ($7-$10 for the starter pack), you can always use it as a lockpick! That's right, this site describes an easy-to-follow method of converting this humble flosser into a pretty decent method of opening those, um, locks that you've lost the key for.

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.