Gadgets 394

Published on May 19th, 2009 | by Greg

0

Sleeptracker: Better Than Ever

We’ve reviewed not one, but two models of the Sleeptracker watch. Each time, they’ve gotten progressively better, more attractive and lighter.

The previous upgrade was a bit more significant- the change from the Standard to the Pro added a longer alarm window and data collection timeframe, vibration and PC data transfer. This time around, the Sleeptracker Elite doesn’t offer much in the way of functional upgrades, but does offer a nice sporty new look. There are both a men’s and women’s model now, though they are the same except for the appearance. We wished that you could have been able to change the band, strap, and face to change between different colors and styles instead of being forced to choose- but the addition of options is a good step forward.

And we were able to wear this model for entire days, without worrying too much. It isn’t water-proof, but is water resistant. It also features a nice backlight like the previous versions. But the real draw here is still the sleep monitoring capability. Basically, regular old alarm clocks don’t pay attention to your sleep patterns, and can wake you up abruptly from a deep rest, leaving you groggy and tired. The Sleeptracker’s goal is to minimize that effect, waking you up within a window that you set, and finding the moment within that window where you are the most awake. Best of all, it works- we didn’t find much additional accuracy from the Pro model, and it did seem to shift a bit the first nights requiring us to adjust a bit, but it will fairly gently ease you awake most mornings and definitely helps you wake up fresh.

Another nice thing- all of the models are still available, and the price of the latest model is $179, the same as the Sleeptracker Pro. Available online, and in some stores.