Indoors steammop1

Published on June 4th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Black & Decker 2-in-1 Steam Mop: Chemical-Free Cleaning

It might not be Spring anymore, but that doesn’t mean that we’re done with cleaning. Quite the opposite, in fact- we trek more in and out during the summer, and make more messes inside as we cook and grill and entertain. With wood, stone, tile, or cement floors, they need regular attention, otherwise dirt and germs build up quickly.

We’ve been testing out the Black & Decker 2-in-1 Steam Mop, and like it’s versatile design. It makes mopping a breeze, though it is an investment over some cheaper, disposable options. We’ve seen other steam cleaners before, and they generally offer a few advantages- no chemicals to purchase or use or leave residue, safer for pets and kids and everyone. They still kill 99.9% of germs using only water, and though they usually take a bit to heat up, one of the most impressive things about this model was how fast it was ready to go. Less than a minute after turning it on, we were cleaning.

Of course, this mop is corded, which is really the way to go for steam cleaning. Battery-powered or cordless models rarely have the juice to do the job justice. It’s not very heavy though (six or so pounds), but can feel like a bit of a drag on your arms versus, say, a Swiffer. One nifty thing is that this one features a removable steamer for hand cleaning- to reach those areas where a floor mop or steamer can’t go. We used it on kitchen appliances and in the bathroom to great effect; it’s much easier than some other options, and takes only a moment to convert between floor/hand-held modes. The water tank is detachable for easy fill-up, and the unit feels solid and well-built

It won’t clean carpets very well, and it can’t pick up crumbs- but the 2-in-1 Steam Mop will disinfect like a champ. Let your floors shine- check out the Black and Decker line of steam-cleaning options, and especially their BDH1850SM 2-in-1 Steam Mop, available now online and in stores for around $140.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.