Indoors copeland3

Published on August 26th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Knoll’s Copeland Light: A Perfect Multi-Purpose Lamp

If you’re a professional, then you know the value of a good lamp. Lighting can make all of the difference in a space, turning a fairly dim and small room into a livelier, more engaging one. Students, as well, should know that a solid, adjustable lamp can be an important friend, helping keep the midnight oil burning. Whether you need a companion for those late night study sessions, or a work light for your office, we’ve got a classic option to suggest.

The Knoll Copeland Task Light is a modern take with a vintage mid-century style. While you can get a lamp just about anywhere that will handle the basics just fine, a custom task light like the Copeland offers several advantages. For starters, it’s clearly built to last- the base is zinc-coated case iron, and heavy enough to ensure stability while you adjust and bend the light as you need. It stays firmly and fixed in place too, thanks to the hinge design. And the three spots of rotation allow complete freedom of movement

Stephan Copeland designed this little guy “with a pioneering spring mechanism that provides smooth and easy movement from the circular joints”, and sets it apart from other lamps that squeak, grind, limp, droop, or are hard to adjust. It’s beautiful and functional, and even made of 75% recycled materials. And there’s even a nifty extra feature- the head can be rotated between two modes, either a brighter and more directed beam or a diffuse and slightly dimmer pool. The matte finish didn’t show fingerprints much, and the lamp was easy to clean, with a base that’s a perfect place for a cup or a jar of pens.

About the only thing we didn’t love was the slightly out-of-place red switch on the neck, and it’s somewhat awkward location. Available in black or silver, compact or standard forms, expect the Knoll Copeland to run $186-$200- well worth the money for a crisp, lighting solution perfect for anyone’s drafting table or desk.

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.