Indoors portacool1

Published on August 28th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Port-A-Cool Cyclone 2000: Comfort, Any Time Of Year

Sure, it’s not peak season for New Yorkers to need a break from the heat. But the temperatures have continued to be above 80-degrees here, which leaves quite a bit to be desired. And if your garage or office or attic is anything like ours, then you could use a respite from sweating. Plus, if you live in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, or anywhere with a year-round need for a bit of cooling, then today’s article should be of interest. Not traditionally meant for in-home use, units like this one are perfect for patios or rooftops, as well as most commercial or industrial applications, from sporting events to gyms.

The Port-A-Cool Cyclone 2000 is not an air conditioner- but in most respects, it’s far better. Using evaporative or water-based cooling, it offers a host of advantages, foremost among them lower power consumption. In our area, utility bills skyrocket over the hotter months, and this type of system can use as much as 75 percent less electricity as air conditioning. In addition, they add a bit of humidity to an area, so are great if you’re in a drier environment. No special power outlets or installation are required- this one rolls in and out easily, uses standard 110v power, with adjustable louvers to get cooler air to the right spot (though only really up/down, not side to side).

Of course, you need to pay attention to the size of a room and plan accordingly. While the output of air conditioners get a BTU rating (British Thermal Units), evaporative coolers are rated instead with CFMs (the cubic feet per minute of air). If you have higher ceilings, then you’ll need to take that into account, but the PAC Cyclone 2000 is rated to cool around 500 square feet of area- perfect for most spaces. Granted the unit itself is not as attractive as most air conditioners- the black plastic looks pretty industrial- but it isn’t that much larger than your typical air conditioner, 24 inches wide and 31 inches tall. You don’t need a window either or vent, which is quite handy. We set up at the back of a large room near a door, and instantly noticed the difference. Also, Port-A-Cool is made in America.

We found the unit to be a bit noisy- louder than an average air conditioner- but the bigger downside is that you need to monitor and refill the Cyclone with regular tap water. You don’t need to worry about refrigerants, which is great, but you will need to pay attention to the 10-gallon reservoir. We would’ve liked a better water indicator. Also, don’t expect a big drop in temperature- your results will depend largely on the humidity of the environment, with a drier environment being more effective, and around a 10 to 20-degree improvement in many cases. If you need more than that- if you live in 110-degree temps for instance- then this unit isn’t going to be a complete solution, though can certainly help. While it may not look pretty, you’ll find yourself thankful to have the Port-A-Cool Cyclone 2000- an easy to use, well-built, machine that does it’s job quite well. Available now online and in stores for around $600, and well worth it for a no-install, simple and effective cooling solution.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.