Indoors Whirlpool-Whispure-Air-Purifier-HEPA-Air-Cleaner-AP51030K

Published on September 13th, 2013 | by Greg

0

Whispure Air Purifier: HEPA Clean, Surprisingly Quiet

One of the biggest regular health risks you take indoors is simply breathing. We’re not suggesting that you try to stop doing so- simply that fresh air is important, and clean air can be critical for many people. Whether you have asthma or allergies, or simply don’t like dust or pet hair flying about, you should consider an air purification system to help clear the air in your apartment or home office.

We’re happy to suggest one! The Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier, model AP51030K, certainly isn’t the prettiest on the market. It is a true HEPA filtration system though, which means both excellent performance and the downside that you’ll have some ongoing costs with filter changes and replacements. According the manual, the HEPA filter requires replacement each year, and the pre-filter every three months or so. The upside is that it will help you get rid of 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns and larger.

But you probably aren’t too concerned with looks- if you were, you could try a couple of the stylish models we’ve seen in the past. Instead, if you are looking for a reasonably-priced unit that can handle a large room and do so without causing a racket, then the Whispure 510 is among the best we’ve seen. It always makes sense to pay careful attention to the numbers, and this model offers solid results: a CADR rating of of 315 is quite decent and means that you can comfortably use this unit in a room up to 500 square feet. That’s plenty for most New Yorkers!

Further, it’s quieter than most other competitors, even those that are smaller or made for tinier spaces. And the Whispure offers plenty of settings- four total fan speeds- with easy to access and simple controls. We weren’t kept up tossing and turning thanks to the sleep mode for helping you tuck in at night, and the unit is somewhat portable with a built-in handle that allows fairly easy transport between rooms. The charcoal (carbon) pre-filter traps odors, though we wouldn’t recommend this unit as the primary source of odor removal, or to get rid of smoke- we’ve seen others with far heftier carbon filters for those purposes.

Available now online and in stores for around $300, the Whirlpool 510 deserves kudos for being both powerful and quiet. It’s an urban apartment dweller’s dream unit, and the five-year partial warranty is a nice touch.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.