Indoors milagro_bath

Published on October 2nd, 2013 | by Greg

0

Matouk: Quality Linens (And A Story)

For many people, towels and throws are easy purchases- pick whatever is inexpensive and not too hideous, and replace them at the first sign of wear with something equally dispensable and cheap. But we’d suggest that a more mature approach might be rewarding- and if you’re ready for a bit of an investment, you can impress guests, and feel better about both the environment and your home or apartment.

Matouk Linens have a history stretching back 80 years, and now are based in New England. But you might be surprised, because at first impression, they feel European- luxurious, several steps above your typical towels and textiles. As you might expect from a firm in business that long, they offer a pretty wide range of products in several collections, from tableware for the dining room to duvets and quilts for your bedroom. We’ve been using a few items over the past few weeks, and have definitely noticed a difference- our rooms just feel classier.

The Matouk Milagro Bath Towels and Hand Towels are available in a host of colors, from French Roast to Bronze, Peony and Periwinkle to Opal and Mineral. Ours were the Sterling, a light color that is flexible enough to go with most any decor, without being boring vanilla white. They also offer everything from large and small bath mats to fingertip towels, ranging from $11 to $106 per piece. The Egyptian cotton is soft and sumptuous, the sort of towel you want to treat as a blanket and curl up in, and it’s certainly made showers more pleasant, since coming out of them is never the best part. It feels plush without being overwhelmingly heavy, and has washed well, barely changed after multiple uses. We took a couple of days to be convinced, but now couldn’t go back- these towels feel like a dream.

Matouk’s Arcadia Throw is definitely a more distinctive style and pattern, and would make the perfect gift for someone in need of the right item for a beach house or Mediterranean vacation home. Three color options in bronze, pewter, or navy are all offset in what they call a Greek motif, a design that looks great on it’s own but can be a bit hard to match. Plenty warm, it wasn’t quite as soft as we might’ve liked, but then we’re partial to a fleece. Made from a 50-50 blend of modal (rayon) and cotton, it’s definitely durable though, and should be the a piece that will last for years at least. The Arcadia Throw runs $189, and should cover just about anyone at 50×70! Available online, as well as through select retailers.

Tags: , , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.