Indoors muvman

Published on November 14th, 2013 | by Greg

0

More Than A Chair: Muvman Sit-Stand Stool

You’ll want to sit down for this- and chances are, you already are. It’s also probable that you’re slouching, slumping, and slowly but surely ruining your health as you sit for too long, on a chair that isn’t designed for proper ergonomics. The human body was designed to take a lot of abuse, but it wasn’t designed to sit in the same place for hours at a time, unmoving.

That’s exactly why you need to consider a bit less plush leather, and a bit more motion. Active seating sounds like an oxymoron, but it’s the essential concept behind the Muvman Sit-Stand Stool. You can’t quite relax, so it’s not going to be the chair you’ll lay back in while watching a movie or catching the latest episode of Homeland. But it’s designed for work, for those who have to stare at screens and papers throughout the day, meant to be the ideal chair for your desk. Sure, it looks well-suited to an Apple Store or an architect’s office, but the sleek shape is only part of the appeal.

An admission: at first, we found the Muvman awkward and a little frustrating. It tilts forward naturally, meaning you are sort of working against gravity, and will probably bounce a bit or rock slightly automatically. The textured cushion adds a bit of grip, and you’ll want to adjust the height appropriately, but the point is that you can’t really sit “still”. And that can feel a bit unnatural and even make you a bit sore at first, as you’ll be using muscles that you probably have forgotten about. Don’t worry- it’s not like sitting on one of those giant inflatable yoga balls; it’s not a balance test. We pretty quickly got the hang of it, and saw some fairly immediate results, but you’ll need to get through the initial few hours (or a day or two) first. You’ll quickly love the smoothly adjustable pneumatic movement, which encouraged us to regularly move up and down.

There are quite a few small details that shouldn’t go unnoticed. For instance, you can use the seat as either saddle-style or traditional, and the flat front of the seat doesn’t put much pressure on your legs, allowing free circulation. The company also claims that the seat’s “slight arch keeps your pelvis upright, supporting the natural S-shape curve of the spine”. We found the Muvman quite sturdy, with a very solid base. In fact, we tested longer than our usual month period, as we wanted a longer timeframe to settle in and compare. By the third week of use, we noticed reduced back strain towards the end of the day. During more upright sessions with the Muvan configured as a stool, we felt energetic and more creative in the morning. It’s definitely best if you have an adjustable height desk though.

The Muvman is a totally new- and refined- idea, and certainly a better fit for most workplaces than your average leather desk chair. It’s also sure to attract envious stares, and probably help your posture. The Muvman is available now, online and in stores, for around $560.

Tags: , , , , , , ,