Indoors h1510_glamour

Published on January 4th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Pure Guardian H1510: A Cleaner, Multi-Purpose Humidifier

New York is buried under a foot of snow, and the rest of the Northeast is also suffering under this superstorm Hercules. Luckily, the peak travel season has passed, minimizing disruptions, and many folks are back home safely. However, that hasn’t stopped the cold from sneaking past the doors and windows, as this is one of the chilliest nights on record. And winter always brings with it chapped lips and sore noses, which is why we’ve been trying out a few humidifiers.

Today’s is a mid-range model, the PureGuardian H1510 ultrasonic humidifier. There are three nifty features that set this one apart from the pack, and one of the most important is the water tank- this little guy can hold enough dihydrogen monoxide to cover 100 hours of use (1.5 gallons). Of course, that means a slightly larger tank to carry, but fewer refills, and less worry about it stopping overnight. Like many ultrasonics, it also offers the option of cool or warm mist, though neither temperature is at the extremes.

Humidity serves plenty of important purposes, and even if you’re not in a desert climate, can help reduce allergies and nasal irritation, as well as make an area feel warmer by increasing the perceived temperature. One issue, though, is that unless they are kept quite clean, mold can grow and exasperate the very issues you are trying to solve. The H1510 includes Silver Clean that helps keep the water tank free from mildew, and we liked that the soft light could be disabled. There is no timer mode, but it’s quiet enough to sleep next to. It isn’t the most space-efficient, or attractive, design but certainly good for bedside.

Pureguardian makes quite a few different models that should cover most needs. This one is a great mid-level option, and ran well for us over weeks with no major issues. Available now, for $120, online and in stores.

Tags: , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.