Indoors HUT300B-product

Published on January 27th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Honeywell Designer Series Cool Mist Humidifer: Loud But Slick

Honeywell is a name best known for their thermostats, ventilation, and whole home systems. But they also make a small line of smaller-scale, single-room branded heaters, air purifiers, and humidifiers that are manufactured by KAZ.- a company you might not know that also makes Braun and even Vicks-branded home items as well.

It doesn’t seem to appear on either of their websites, but we’ve been testing out the Honeywell Designers Series Cool Mist Humidifier, model HUT-300B. This is a fairly basic model, contrasting with a few others that we’ve checked out recently, like yesterday’s Stadler Form Hera or the PureGuardian model we reviewed a couple of weeks ago. If you’re on a tight budget, but still want something that looks nice and is easy to use with few frills, then this model is a decent option.

The size is perfect for mid-to-large rooms, up to 250 square feet.Like many others, it uses ultrasonic technology, which results in a fine even mist, and the tank is treated with an antibacterial material to help prevent growth. The nozzle rotates, offering some control over direction, and there aren’t any filters to worry about. With a .8 gallon tank, they claim that on low settings you’ll be able to run the unit for over 30-48 hours.

In our tests, though, we typically run the unit on higher settings to have much effect. And on those settings, you can run through water much faster. More problematic, the unit was fairly loud- enough to be noticeable, and with a gurgling noise that was occasional rather than regular and thus pretty distracting. There’s no timer, and only manual controls, and the see-through indicator for refilling was a little hard to read despite the illumination (which wasn’t controllable or dimmable). That said, we did like the built-in handle more than many others, and it was pretty straightforward to refill. Available in black or white, one of the best parts is the price- only $60 or so, online!

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.