Published on March 19th, 2014 | by Greg

Runtastic LIBRA: A Scale For The Smartphone Era

There are plenty of ways to measure your health and wellness. And recently there have been lots of new gadgets released that help manage the data- a new trend called the quantified self. You can strap on a smartwatch, use your Google Glasses, and record every moment thanks to the slew of options now hitting the market. But one of the best ways to check in on your body is a classic- the humble bathroom scale.

The Runtastic LIBRA brings the scale into the smartphone era. Sure, it can display your weight, but also loads of other data: body fat, muscle mass, water percentage, and bone mass even. Using wireless Bluetooth, it connects to a free app on your smartphone (iOS only, sorry Android users). And you can set up profiles for several users, a nice feature so that your information doesn’t conflict with your roommate’s or your partner’s.

The scale looks sharp, and doesn’t take up much more space than other options. It’s fast, and fairly accurate- within a couple of pounds when compared to a few other scales. And the LIBRA offers more information than competitors, like the iHealth model that we checked out previously or the Withings Connected Scale (which looks similar but uses wi-fi instead of Bluetooth). Without the app, the scale itself is of limited use, but with the Runtastic app, you can create a profile to use across their services and track data over time as well as set goals.

Runtastic also makes heart rate monitors, offering an ecosystem of gear to help athletes of all kinds, but especially runners. Their connected scale is an easy way to analyze your body, offering every important measurement you could want, and an easy to use app. Those without Apple iPhone and iPad devices are left out, but for those with a smartphone or tablet running iOS, the LIBRA is solidly built and well-priced. Expect to spend about $125, available in black or white.

Tags: , , , ,