Indoors americanstandard

Published on April 9th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Let It Rain: The American Standard Modern Showerhead

Plumbing isn’t something we regularly cover on these pages. We’ve seen Bluetooth showerheads and even lighting systems for your bathtub, but rarely find them compelling enough to put through a serious review. However, apartment seekers regularly complain about their water pressure and the cheap showerheads that are in most apartments, and we thought it was time to get out our wrenches and suggest a simple DIY fix that will make your mornings nicer- few things can improve your AM attitude like a better shower.

The American Standard 10″ Modern Rain Showerhead is a pretty simple, but quite effective. There aren’t multiple settings, and there’s no extra function. It’s barely adjustable at all, in fact. But it is incredibly simple to install- we managed it in under two minutes, and all you need is some silicone tape (cheaply found at any hardware store) as well as a decent wrench. The tape winds around the threads and serves as a seal, and you simply screw the showerhead on then tighten (but don’t over-tighten!)

With older showerheads, one issue you could face is that they would clog- these are specially designed to avoid that problem, and every single nozzle worked and offered the same level of pressure. There is just a bit of extra pressure as well, we found, a wee bit more than you might expect- and it helps, since you want a little bit of thrust to your water to jar you alive. It’s far gentler than a pushy traditional model though, and tapers a bit, directing some of the spray inward where you need it. And the Modern Rain is large enough to offer complete coverage, plus it looks swanky- it makes your shower feel like you’re at a hotel or spa, without the eye-popping price tag.

Available in several finishes, including chrome, nickel, and brass, this is the perfect showerhead for when your piping is directly overhead, as in some urban apartments- we wouldn’t suggest installing at an angle, only horizontally. With a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute, the American Standard Modern Rain offers a great shower experience with no bells or whistles, at a very affordable price point- under $100, online and in stores.

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.