Gadgets 3249459_orig

Published on April 29th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Having Trouble Sleeping? Try The Dreampad

Insomnia affects most of us, directly or indirectly, at some point in our lives. Whether it’s a family member wide awake and keeping us up, or our own minds doing the same thing, sleep is one of those things you can’t fully appreciate until it’s missing. And while there are many approaches to addressing these issues, most of the healthiest involve some combination of relaxation techniques. We’ve seen a few interesting solutions in the past, as well as quite a few different types of trackers and monitors that help shed some light on your personal sleep patterns. But this is a truly unique item, one of the first of it’s kind that we’ve seen.

The Dreampad from Integrated Listening Systems is a special sort of pillow that features a built-in ‘speaker’. Unlike earbuds or headphones, they utilize what they call Intrasound, a form of bone conduction to transmit the sound, meaning that you don’t have to worry about your head lying awkwardly on some thumping, uncomfortable device. You can feel the vibrations in a way, and there is a material inside that you can make out while lying on it, but it’s not something you’ll notice after the first few minutes. Further, you won’t distract anyone lying next to you with your sound machine- the Dreampad can only be heard by you, in direct contact with the pillow.

It’s thin enough that you can continue to use your existing pillow, and we found it simple to set up, and capable of working in any sleeping position. That said, the sound isn’t all that impressive, but the way it reaches you is. For average listening, we wouldn’t recommend it. But it’s a solution that makes sense in this application, and the company suggests using the Dreampad with specific sorts of audio- in fact, they offer an app for iOS or Android which allows you to choose from a selection of soundscapes like ‘tranquil landscapes’ or ‘seaside strings’ and let it cycle and play for a desired period of time. Five are included, or you can use any audio, and connect your device via the traditional mini-jack headphone adapter.

We’re not sure that it’s for everyone, but the potential audience is wide, including folks suffering from “stress-related insomnia, trauma, veterans with PTSD, and children with ADHD and ASD”. They do mention it can take a few days to get used to the Dreampad, and we feel the same- our first night, it was simply odd and a little distracting. But after a couple of nights using the pillow, it started to become a nice part of a slow fall into dreamland. Whether it’s to reduce anxiety or simply because you’re feeling a bit stressed, the Dreampad isn’t cheap- but it’s well worth it for a good night’s sleep, and it’s much easier and safer than medications. Available now, for around $179.

Tags: , , , ,