Indoors emmi_dent_6

Published on June 11th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Emmi-dent 6: The First Ultrasonic Toothbrush Is Pricey But Nifty

Dental visits are never anyone’s idea of a good time. And yet, few people pay close enough attention to their teeth, or dental hygiene. And for many folks, a hurried lifestyle leads to rushed brushing, harming gums and causing abrasions with too-harsh bristles that can actually do harm to your mouth. If you have sensitive teeth, or if your gums bleed, then you need an ultra-soft brush at the very least. Or you could check out today’s new toothbrush, a very different take on a critical part of your day.

You’ve certainly seen electric toothbrushes before, and maybe used them. What sets the Emmi-dent 6 Ultrasound Toothbrush apart from the crowd is that it is truly ultrasonic . Whereas most systems pulse a few hundred times a second, this one is quite a bit faster, offering 84 million oscillations per minute. The interesting part is that the brush barely seems to move at these rates, a big difference from the buzzing of others that we’ve tried- and in fact, you don’t really brush. According to the company, the toothbrush itself is only part of the solution- it’s also their special nano-toothpaste that is necessary:  ”Ultrasonic impulses are able to penetrate teeth and gums destroying bacteria and germs where bristles can’t reach. This is essential in reducing and protecting against periodontal (gum) disease. Specially formulated nano-bubbles are up to 1000x smaller and are able to reach between the teeth, into the smallest crevices, supporting and enhancing the cleaning effect of ultrasound. Nano-bubble cleaning removes plaque, tartar, food scraps and impurities.”

Available in Europe for years, these models are just now reaching our shores. The unit feels fairly traditional- a bit plasticky- but offers decent battery life and two heads included allowing you to share with a partner (or have a spare handy). As mentioned, you don’t really brush your teeth, which is weird at first- instead, you simply hold the brush against your teeth for a few seconds. They recommend five seconds per pair of teeth minimum, which adds up fast- you’ll end up spending longer using the Emmi-dent even if you’re not really brushing. Once you get past the odd sensation, we admit to seeing some pretty stellar results- our gums bled much less (or not at all) when flossing, and we did notice a reduction in stains even.

But then we needed more toothpaste. And theirs is almost certainly hard to find in the aisles of your local stores, though isn’t too badly priced- it’s definitely more expensive than you’re probably used to though, and only comes in mild, mint, and natural flavors. Combined with the lengthy brushing time- and lack of a timer or any other functions now found on most competitor systems- we weren’t sold on the benefits for average consumers. Especially considering the upfront cost and special toothpaste requirements- the Emmi-dent 6 certainly works well, but requires an investment in time and money that is probably worth it only for those with special circumstances (braces, for instance, or orthodontics that can be hard to clean). Available now, online and in shops, for around $189 for the starter pack.

Tags: , , , ,