Indoors dc59-motorhead

Published on June 27th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Dyson DC59 Motorhead: Handy Power, Now Better On Carpets

Of all of the household tasks that have been improved by technology, from dishwashing to cooking, few have been transformed quite as recently as vacuuming. For years, most homes were stuck with large, hulking beasts to be hauled out of closets as needed, lugged around stairs if possible, and it was inevitable that you’d trip over the power cords and need to plug them in to a new outlet every time you changed rooms.

The Dyson DC59 Motorhead is the newest model from the company that has changed suction, from fans and hand dryers to canister vacuum cleaners. We’ve seen earlier ones with wheels, and one of their first handheld versions more than four years ago. Most recently, we checked out the sister to the Motorhead, the DC59 Animal, and raved the industrial design, the immense amount of power that belied it’s tiny size and light weight. The batteries of cordless vacuums has also been grown by leaps and bounds, and the Animal boasted about 26-28 minutes of life.

The Motorhead looks quite similar to it’s sibling, other than the color, but as you might guess from the name trades a bit of battery life for a very cool-looking motorized head (it runs about two minutes less on a full charge). And it comes with the same set of accessories as well- a crevice tool, combination tool, and a motorized hand tool. But the newer model is well worth it if you have carpets- while the Animal performed equally on hardwood floors and tiles, on mid-thickness carpets it had trouble picking up hair and crumbs. And on plush pile carpets, the Motorhead far exceeded our expectations and was able to handle our tests as well as a corded vacuum. In some cases, especially with fine hair, it actually worked better. And, of course, it’s far more portable- we were able to easily pick up from floor to ceiling, without breaking a sweat. We love the wall mount/charger, which is easy to use, and the transparent bin is simple to empty.

There’s lots of good news here- the Motorhead is the perfect vacuum for quick cleanups and spills, for reaching ceilings and above shelving, and the low-profile helps get those tricky spots under beds and furniture and in closets as well. It’s ideal for use in your vehicle too. Any pet owner will love it, since you’re cleaning up fur and dander so regularly. Those with large houses might need to use it as a backup or for use in bedrooms and living rooms rather than as the primary model for whole-home cleanups though. It’s light enough to be used even by a kid, so you can get them to help with chores. But we wish it could be used in a corded mode, and we note that you’ll need to hold down a trigger for use, which saves battery life but does get a bit annoying after a while. The attachments stay with the base, as there is no way to keep them handy on the body itself. And, of course, the DC59 Motorhead isn’t cheap- it’ll run you around $550, online and in stores.

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.