Indoors knoll

Published on July 15th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Knoll Sapper Monitor Arm: Display In Style

Whether at your home, home office or your workplace, chances are you have at least one monitor. And you’re probably using the included stand, which came with it- after all, why would you need anything else? That is, unless you like flexibility and comfort. Sure, your basic chair might not adjust, but any good desk chair does, and in a few ways. And if you change heights, tilt or shift, it’s pretty important that your screen be able to do so as well.

That’s where an adjustable mount comes in handy, like the Knoll Sapper Single Monitor Arm. It’s got three pivot points, allowing it to spring forward, fall back and even fold flat out of the way, and rotate to allow you to share your work or protect your screen. And, of course, it can slide up and down as necessary. Capable of 165 degrees of monitor tilt up and down, 180 degrees of swivel left and right, the best part for creative professionals is the 360 degrees of rotation for portrait or landscape viewing- so you can edit documents or media in the appropriate orientation.

The arm itself doesn’t weigh much- under three pounds- and there are three ways to set it up on your work station. Opt for a C-clamp which is pretty versatile, a grommet, or a fixed installation which requires some work and tools. The Sapper can hold up to 20 pounds monitors, which should be enough for all but the heftiest displays, and incorporates cable management so you can hide those cords. Designed by Richard Sapper, it’s an elegant solution, not overbuilt, and even quite attractive. It’s surprising how easily it moves and how a simple tool can improve the way you work (and play). Powder coated for durability, it’s not cheap plastic, and should hold up for a very long time.

The arm itself is available in black, gray, or white, with a cute detail- you can choose to have the knob itself in either white or red. Purchase directly from the manufacturer for right around $200, depending on options, we always like Knoll’s design (we last checked out one of their excellent desk lamps).

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.