Indoors winix-u300

Published on July 16th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Winix U300 Air Purifier: Five Stages Of Cleanliness

If you have allergies, then you know very well the importance of keeping your air clean. It can be a difficult task, whether you’re in the city or the country- pollen, pets, and other types of pollutants can quickly overwhelm, even not considering smoking. Keeping your windows shut might help, but there are still plenty of ways for your environment to be affected.

The Winix U300 Air Purifier can handle any of them, thanks to five distinct layers of filtration and protection. It’s not a small unit, and it doesn’t hide away or mount against a wall like some we’ve seen. But it offers a nice balance of power and size for the price, without being too noisy. Built for rooms up to 300 square feet, like most units in this range, you’ll probably focus most on the bedroom- or a small apartment. With a CADR rating of 197 cfm for dust and smoke, it can handle some serious tasks.

We set it up and noticed a difference within a couple of hours, especially when cooking or during seasonal peaks. The five stages are pretty common amongst competitors, but often have different names- here they are a washable pre-filter, CleanCel antimicrobial coating, a 99.97% efficient True-HEPA Filter, an odor control washable carbon filter, and their patented PlasmaWave Technology which uses ‘hydroxyls’ to neutralize airborne viruses, chemical vapors, and even gases. Four speeds offer a lot of flexibility, ranging from 70 to nearly 300 square meters of airflow, and 28-58 decibels of sound- enough to notice at high speed, but barely a whisper for night time operation.

We liked the included remote, something not every model includes. And the white color goes with everything, though the plastic body doesn’t feel as solid as some alternatives. It’s important to note that you’ll need space on all sides of the unit as well- you can’t just set it in a corner, against a wall. It is easy to clean, though not simple to move, and the all-in-one filters are simple to install and, we suspect, replace. A five year warranty is excellent, though the company does indicate you’ll need to replace the carbon filter every three months. For $280 or so, online and in stores, the Winix U300 Signature HEPA Air Cleaner is a great middle of the pack unit, ideal for smaller rooms.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.