Indoors pcc620lb

Published on October 1st, 2014 | by Greg

0

Porter Cable Powers Up The 20V MAX Hammer Drill

At press time, if you run a quick search for model PCC620LB, you won’t find much out there. That’s because this powerful tool is actually being announced today! We’ve been testing it out over the past month though, and it may look a lot like it’s predecessor version, the PCC600LB, but offers a few improvements that matter. If you’re in the market for a new drill or compact cordless driver, then read ahead for our thoughts on this powerful new model.

The Porter Cable 20V Max Hammer Drill came to us in a set, the Lithium Ion Driver Kit (PCCK620LB), which includes a battery charger, storage bag, basic double-end bit, as well as two batteries (which we’ll come back to in a moment). Many of the features are similar to competitors or previous models, like the integrated LED light and a handy battery fuel gauge. Their awesome two-speed high-torque or high-speed gearbox offers up to 400 or 1600 RPMs depending on your needs, up to 330 watts of power, and is ideal for materials like brick, block and concrete and applications ranging from electrical, HVAC and plumbing work to your normal household tasks like residential repairs. With a 1/2 inch metal chuck, our bits never slipped, and when not in use, bits can sit safely be stored in the provided magnetic clips.

So far, it might sound pretty similar to it’s older brother, but the sizing reveals a couple of important differences- the newer model is 8.5 inches long and 3.7 pounds, both small increases. Thanks to some major improvements in technology, the PCC620 utilizes new 2.0Ah lithium ion cells, which offer about 30% more life over the previous 1.5 amp-hour batteries. That longer runtime can be incredibly helpful on bigger jobs, but also mean less worry about recharging overnight. And the inclusion of dual batteries mean you’ll be ready for even the largest tasks- we never ended up needing to recharge over our various tasks. We liked the pressure-sensitive trigger, which didn’t require too much force to use, and the very grippable textured handle for easy carrying and holding.

One of our favorite parts of the new Porter Cable 20V Max line is the battery compatibility across their products, which includes not only this drill but also the new Bluetooth Radio. And the PC620 Hammer Drill comes standard with a three year warranty, longer than those offered by most other companies. It should be available soon, and widely, including via Lowes- expect to spend around $170 for the complete kit or $80 for the bare tool itself.

Tags: , , ,