Indoors 18V_1312_THUMB-5

Published on November 20th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Bissell Bolt ION 2-in-1 Vacuum: Cleaning, Light And Fast

Smaller homes and large apartments generally don’t need heavy duty vacuum cleaners- unless you have a lot of carpets and pets and kids, in which case perhaps no vacuum will ever be enough. We’re several generations into cordless vacuums now, and the technology continues to improve, largely thanks to the advancements in batteries that are powering the rest of our electronics. Smaller, stronger motors help too, and combined with some cool new materials and more efficient production chains mean that we’re sort of in a golden age of tools- they’re more affordable and more compact than ever.

The Bissell Bolt ION Cordless 2-in-1 Vacuum is a great example, with it’s very modern looks and nifty handheld pop-out vacuum, shared across the family. Part of their orange Bolt line, you can opt for a higher-end XRT model with heftier specs, or save some dough and opt for a heavier version with shorter battery life and less power. This is the mid-range version (model 1312 as tested), with 18 volts of power and a 30 minute run-time rating (versus 25V and 40 minutes or 14 volts and 20 minutes), and a solid little guy that isn’t great on thick pile carpets but great on most other surfaces, and a perfect quick cleanup machine that you can carry up stairs without hurting your back.

Like many smaller, newer vacs, you don’t need to worry about buying bags, but do have to regularly empty the dustbin- we’d recommend with every use, since the efficiency decreases quickly as it gets full. Bissell boasts about their EdgeReach Technology, which addresses one of the key issues you’ve probably faced, having to redo areas since only the middle of the vacuum has suction. We definitely noticed a difference, where we could actually utilize even the edges to capture dirt and debris. There is an included crevice tool with a dusting brush, and we loved the folding handle which helped to slide it away easily when not in use. The head of the Bissell Bolt ION moves easily, twisting, tilting, and turning in a way that made vacuuming easier and more pleasant (more like mopping).

The charging station is decent, and it’s light enough to take out and use in the car. We did find that, like many vacuums, the accessories could come loose. But if you haven’t already, you’ll find it’s true: once you go cordless, it’s hard to go back. If you don’t have to deal with a lot of fur or dander, then consider the Bissell Bolt ION Cordless Vacuum with it’s convenient built-in hand vac a great gift to others or yourself. Available for $179, in stores or online.

Tags: , , ,