Indoors 61WVfkCDUDL._SL1200_

Published on December 5th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Coway Air Purifiers: Cleaner Rooms, Big Or Small

Winter can be tough on the body for many reasons- suddenly changing temperatures, dry air, and of course every form of illness imaginable floating through the air. Plus, with every window closed and less circulation, it’s a challenge to keep your indoors fresh and clean. Humidifiers can help, but can also add their own problems to the air- and if you have pets, those allergens can pile up as well during the colder season.

Air purifiers might not seem the best gift- but we can think of few home appliances that can do more to help your apartment or house be guest-friendly and company-ready. We’ve got two different models to look at- the Coway AP-0512NH is ideal for a bedroom, and the Coway AP-1512HH is good for a larger spot like a living room. Both share a cute design, with a true HEPA filtration system and timers, as well as reasonable price tags. And we liked the controls on both, without too many distracting lights, and the odor filter on each.

Let’s start small and work our way up- Korean brand Coway does offer a wide range of models, but the white Ap-512NH is one of their smallest, which means it can fit nicely even on a bedside table. Made for spaces around 15 square meters or smaller, its rated an even 100 on the Clean Air Delivery Rate scale, or CADR. And it’s quiet enough to use even while sleeping, especially on the lowest setting of the three available. There’s an auto mode as well, which adjusts the fan speed based on environmental conditions.

The larger gloss-black Coway AP-1512HH adds an Eco mode as well, which works somewhat similar to the auto mode, turning off the unit when no pollutants are detected for thirty minutes. It adds an extra filtration step, a washable pre-filter, which can help a little bit when cooking especially. And there is an ionizer too, which creates negative ions. Built to handle rooms as large as 34 square meters, it has a CADR rating of 176, but will make a fair bit of noise at the highest setting. As always, air purifiers work in an area close to the unit, and it’s important to find the right spot for your setup. These aren’t wall-mountable like some competitors, but can sit just about anywhere.

Neither model includes a remote control and the timers are only in fixed increments. Also, the carbon filters seemed a little thin. But a warranty of a full three years is quite good, and these are the exact same models sold elsewhere under the OPH Nordica name- identical to the high-end Scandinavian brand. These aren’t the most powerful units on the market, but Coway’s pair offer some of the best value. The smaller model runs $160, online and in stores, and the larger one can help boost your air quality for the reasonable price of $250.

Tags: , , ,