Indoors sonicare1

Published on December 17th, 2014 | by Greg

0

Holiday Cleaning With The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean & AirFloss

Just about every time technology pushes into a new frontier, there are plenty of people who complain- why would you want to add a touchscreen to a telephone, or make a fancier calculator. The same is true with the humble toothbrush, as it’s all too easy to look at a one-dollar item at the store and think to yourself “Who needs batteries and fancy motors?” You might ask the same about individually-packed vacuum-sealed coffee cups, or wireless speakers. We won’t be able to answer the question satisfactorily for every skeptic, but electric toothbrushes are definitely here to stay, and offer a consistent way to keep your teeth healthy. It’s kind of like going to the gym- for some folks, a personal trainer who can offer direct assistance makes all the difference, and there’s no doubt that oral hygiene is important.

With that in mind, the Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Black Edition is certainly not for anyone looking to save a few pennies. It’s a top-of-the-line luxury item, with design that feels like it could have come from Apple’s team. That’s a fair comparison in other ways too, as there is some nifty technological wizardry packed inside- and thanks to ever-improving batteries and some cool new methods for recharging, this is the most sophisticated toothbrush we’ve ever seen. Like most competitors, and other predecessor models in the family, it’s compact and easy to pack, with heads that are interchangeable and can be replaced anytime. Unlike any others on the market, to charge the DiamondClean versions all you need to do is place the toothbrush in a special glass, and thanks to the magic of induction your brush will be topped up. A traditional stand is available separately.

There’s the more typical charging case included in this package as well, which is handy- just plug in via USB to your laptop when you’re on the road. Most systems offer a variant on the quadrant timer, here called Quadpacer, to help you ensure you’re spending the right amount of time (two minutes) on brushing and rotating to different areas of your mouth (thirty second each). Five different modes are available, more than on others, including the basic, one for deeper whitening, polishing, as well as gum care and a mode for sensitive teeth. As with others, it can take a few days to get used to a new toothbrush, but you’ll notice results quickly, typically within only a couple of weeks- electric toothbrushes do remove significantly more plaque and depending on the person, visibly so. The differences between the brushes are less obvious, though these diamond-shaped heads were interesting, and two are included (heads from other Sonicare models work it appears as well). You’re paying a premium, to be sure, but you can feel the difference in the product. The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean is available not only in the special black color but pink or white as well, for around $190 in stores and online.

For those who want a quick dental cleaning solution for in between meals without needing toothpaste and a complete two-minute regimen, flossing usually provides an easy answer. But it can be painful, awkward, and unless you’re very careful it can still miss some key areas. We have always been fans of Waterpik technology, but it’s always been a little demanding, and the new Philips AirFloss offers an alternative. It’s a bit bulkier than we might have liked, but makes up for that by offering an ergonomic design that’s comfortable in the hand, plus two weeks of battery life. Thanks to some clever engineering, it can clean your entire mouth in about 30 seconds. You do need to fill a reservoir- it’s not just using air, despite the name- and can use water or even mouthwash. But then you can just move it around in your mouth and the AirFloss will dispense a quick burst every second, one for the front and one for the back of each tooth. We wouldn’t normally say this, but it was kind of fun- the first few times at least. And it did a great job clearing out particles left over after, say, BBQ or other foods that tend to stick around. Available for around $70, in stores and online.

Tags: , , , ,