Gadgets airfree

Published on July 26th, 2015 | by Greg

0

Airfree Fit800: A Portable Air Purifier

It’s summertime, which means humid and hot conditions throughout most of the United States and much of the world besides. Besides being the best time for a beach vacation, it’s also the ideal season for mold and mildew. Whether you’re traveling in a camper or simply have a small room that is unavoidably damp, it can be nice to clean up the air- and beyond reducing any offensive smells and freshening up the environment, it can also help reduce allergies and asthma.

The Airfree Fit800 isn’t like most of the other air filtration or air purifiers that we’ve seen. Where other systems use fans to circulate air through a series of chambers- sometimes using a combination of UV light in conjunction with special filters- this one uses a heated coil to destroy organic particles rather than collect them. It means noise-free operation, which is nice, and a smaller, more compact unit without as many moving parts- kind of like a bigger air freshener. Weighing in at only 1.5 pounds, the Fit800 does require a wall outlet, but doesn’t rely on ozone or any chemicals or ions. There are no filters to replace or clean either!

Even dust mites can say goodbye, viruses and fungi spores as well, since the Airfree will eliminate both from the air in a room. But it’s important to note that the Airfree can be difficult to test without special equipment- it operates basically invisibly and silently, and contaminants and pollutants removed over time (five hours to clean a small room’s air, as an example, since CADR rates are not a fair comparison as they are designed for a different technology). We tried it in our kitchen, and noticed that fruit left on the counter seemed to last longer before spoiling, but it’s very difficult to create a controlled experiment. After all, different batches of fruit- not to mention temperature and humidity- affect the results greatly. But this is somewhat true of all air purifiers; subjectively, the air didn’t feel or smell as clean as quickly with the Airfree as with some others.

The Airfree Fit800 is cute, and certainly easy to use, plus it won’t keep you up at night and definitely has a positive effect on smoke and other smells. As a bathroom friend, or to put in your RV and help freshen up your trip, it’s one of the smallest and simplest air sanitizers that we’ve seen. Recommended for rooms up to 180 square feet, it’s available now online and in stores for around $169, and Airfree offers a wide range of models for other rooms and settings.

Tags: , , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.