Gadgets misfit_app-beddit

Published on January 7th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Beddit Smart 2.0: Dedicated Sleep Tracking

Among the many press releases and the major news conferences this week, you’ll likely have noticed the incredible number of fitness and health tracking devices. Last year may have been the “year of the wearable”, but some of the products have only recently become available. And while there are a huge variety of watch- and wrist-based options, there aren’t many devoted solely and completely to sleep tracking.

The Beddit Smart 2.0 Sleep Tracker is basically a thin, flat band that you lay across your mattress, under your sheet. Unlike most trackers, this one does a lot more than simply track how ‘deep’ you might be into your REM cycle or how long you rest, but can even help detect snoring. And there is smart alarm functionality to ensure you wake you up at the best time each day, plus a nice simple score that condenses the information into a single number.

To setup your Beddit, you first need to remove a a protective covering, which reveals a layer of adhesive that sticks your new tracker to your bed and prevents it from moving around. You can’t really feel it when you’re sleeping either. And the system can even track your heart rate while you snooze. The app, tested on iOS- always an important part of these sorts of products- is quite good, fairly slick and well-presented. All of your important information is laid out in a straightforward display, and you can see how long you slept each night, over a week or even a month.

A few downsides: you need to plug it into a wall, which isn’t too bad as it means no worrying about batteries, but might be a little annoying in some situations. Only one person can really utilize the Beddit sensor at a time, and there aren’t some of the features that can be found in other competitors like apnea tracking. And it does require manual activation (which is pretty common amongst tracking devices of all shapes and sizes). You spend only a few hours a week exercising, but a third of your time asleep- you should probably be paying attention! Available now, online and in stores, the new edition runs about $150.

Tags: , , , ,