Gadgets awair

Published on September 17th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Awair: Environmental Monitoring Made Sleek

It’s probably no surprise that the air we breathe matters- it affects our health, our happiness, and even more so when you suffer from allergies or asthma. Different environments also suffer from different problems, and have distinct solutions- city dwellers likely need to think about car emissions while in rural areas pollen can be more of a problem. Pet owners and smokers have their own set of issues to consider. And while there are many air purifiers on the market, we haven’t seen any dedicated, connected sensors.

In a world where seemingly every device is joining the Internet of Things, the Awair Smart Air Quality Monitor is trying to address that. Inside are sensors for the five most important components of your air- temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide, VOCs (or volatile organic compounds), and dust. Each factors into the overall rating that the Awair provides, allowing you to get a quick snapshot of the overall environment, with a 1 to 100 score and a colored LED that changes from green for OK to yellow for fair, and red for poor air quality. More importantly, it allows you to share the data through a wide set of partnerships, including Alexa, IFTTT, and Nest.

Even if you don’t have any of those other devices, we liked that the Awair also serves as a coach of sorts, providing suggestions and tips for how to correct anything it pinpoints as troubles. To fix low humidity, it may suggest boiling some water, and for other conditions it provides insights like varieties of plants that can help clean your air. Easily portable, you can set it up in your home or office, and you’ll just need an iPhone or Android device in order to connect and run the app, as well as wireless internet access. After a few nights of use and adjusting to recommendations, we found ourselves sleeping a bit better- external noises notwithstanding.

The Awair looks great on a counter or bedside table, and can serve as a clock too. If you have kids, are pregnant, get seasonally sick, or suffer from rough breathing, then you should definitely consider getting one and testing it out. It can’t actually fix the problems directly, but the first step is always diagnosis, identifying what’s wrong. The company is also working on an open API to integrate even further, so your home can work smarter and more efficiently. The Awair might not be the answer to your air issues- but it does help you ask the right questions. Available now, online and in stores, expect to spend around $170-$199.

Tags: , , ,

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Appleā€™s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.