Gadgets speck_on_glass_table_with_outdoor_aq

Published on November 16th, 2016 | by Greg

0

Speck’s Air Quality Monitor Is Simple, Informative

Plenty of great products that we use everyday come from research laboratories- but rarely is is quite so direct as with today’s item. As colder weather brings everyone inside, air quality becomes even more important. And we’ve checked out plenty of indoor gadgets that can help address the issue- but how do you know when you need an air purifier, and how do you know if it’s working?

The Speck Air Quality Monitor couldn’t be easier to use- plug it in and it starts detecting right away, showing you immediate results in a nice big font and recording information for later access. The color touchscreen can pull up historical info (up to two years worth can be stored), and unlike many sensors that we’ve seen, it shows immediate changes based on environmental factors. Put out a candle, smoke a cigarette- even vacuum or dust- and you’ll see the effect within moments.

Air quality is a pretty major issue, whether you have kids or take care of your elderly relatives. Pollutants and particles might be invisible to the naked eye, but they can lodge in our lungs, find their way into our bloodstream, and cause or worsen illnesses like asthma and pneumonia. And while you might not be able to control the outside world, aside from covering your mouth and rolling up the car window, you can and should do what more in your home or office. Speck won’t fix issues directly, but it can pinpoint where you should place that filter, or help determine if your air needs serious attention.

We appreciated that all of our data was simple to access- you can download it, or use the built-in wifi, connect to the internet, and upload your data to the cloud for future reference. There’s an iOS and Android app available as well, so you can track what’s happening, and even compare with government Air Quality Index (AQI) stations. And as we alluded to before, Speck is the brainchild of Carnegie Mellon University’s CREATE Lab, and it’s pretty nifty to see how an idea can be become a solid consumer product. It’s available now, online and in stores, in a version 2.0 with a humidity sensor for $199 or the Speck Classic edition for $149.

Tags: , , , ,