all arccase

Published on April 3rd, 2011 | by Greg

0

Joy Factory: iPad Gear

Sure, the iPad 2 is out. But there is still plen­ty of new gear for the orig­i­nal mod­el com­ing out, and since it’s eas­i­er and cheap­er than ev­er to find the iPad 1, you can add some great ex­tras on top for the same price as the on­ly get­ting the up­dat­ed ver­sion. Es­pe­cial­ly if you’re go­ing to be us­ing the tablet in a stat­ic en­vi­ron­ment, the new­er mod­el re­al­ly doesn’t of­fer any need­ed fea­tures. We cer­tain­ly like the new­er one for use out and about, but we have tak­en our now-ob­so­lete iPad Uno and are us­ing it in the kitchen and of­fice for use as a pho­to-shar­ing de­vice and in­ter­net-on­ly ter­mi­nal. And if you’re wor­ried about los­ing your de­vice, Joy Fac­to­ry al­so has you cov­ered with a glossy iPad case, that sad­ly won’t work with the new edi­tion.

Car­bon fiber is cool stuff. Sure, they make air­planes out of it, and high end jew­el­ry, but those are a bit out of our nor­mal range of gear. In­stead, we’ve got the Joy Fac­to­ry Tournez Car­bon Fiber iPad Mount, a pret­ty nifty (and sexy) de­vice. It’s a ba­sic clamp mount, and the clamp it­self is on­ly so-so- but the arm and case are ex­cel­lent, and make for a re­al­ly flex­i­ble so­lu­tion. The ad­van­tage of a mount like this is ob­vi­ous- ease-of-use in a mul­ti-per­son sit­u­a­tion, and sav­ing space on coun­ters or desk­tops or in a kitchen where counter space might be at a pre­mi­um. We al­so liked it placed on a head­board, for watch­ing movies on the iPad while in bed. It did not work quite so well for play­ing games, though, as the ten­sion wasn’t quite as firm as need­ed for hard taps on the screen.

Set­up is easy- just ad­just the clamp to fit the sce­nario. Coun­ters and such work fine; you can al­so the mount di­rect­ly to a wall but we didn’t test this out. Some ex­tra mount­ing op­tions might have been nice- we’ve seen some with heavy du­ty suc­tion cups and mag­nets such- but the clamp method works well. We liked that, once mount­ed, it can spin in 360 de­grees. The price feels a bit high, at $130 or so, but the ma­te­ri­als are ex­treme­ly well-ma­chined.

We’ve al­so been test­ing the Arc Pur­pleRo­mance case. We’ve seen some oth­er cas­es with a built-in stand, and of­ten are skep­ti­cal about their stur­di­ness. This one was pret­ty good- four view­ing an­gles meant we could ad­just for use in bed, or on a desk. This case al­so in­cludes a scratch-re­sis­tant screen, which was a bit con­fus­ing at first- we had to re­move our oth­er scratch pro­tec­tion for it to work well, so you might want to test the case be­fore com­mit­ting. This case is heav­ier than some, and built more for looks than stur­di­ness- the chrome fin­ish tend­ed to show scratch­es a bit too eas­i­ly for our nor­mal han­dling. The Swarovs­ki crys­tal ac­cent might be nice, but it’s part of the large lo­go on the back of the case, a bit too much for our tastes.

Our testers agreed- the Pur­pleRo­mance case felt like a bit of a reach. Take, for ex­am­ple, the Joy­trac­er fea­ture- a ro­man­ti­cal­ly-named ad­di­tion that might be use­ful, but is ba­si­cal­ly a ser­vice that al­lows you to reg­is­ter your iPad to a code on the case. Then, when some­one finds the iPad they can use the code to re­turn the de­vice to you. It sounds nice, but in prac­tice prob­a­bly wouldn’t do much to help, and Ap­ple’s Mo­bileMe fea­tures have ren­dered it a bit less than nec­es­sary. At $80, it’s an in­ter­est­ing all-in-one so­lu­tion, good for the style maven for whom the iPad is more of a fash­ion ac­ces­so­ry… but not so great for reg­u­lar out­door use.

Tags: , ,