all 71983-earth-pan-stainless-steel-9-in-11-in-skillets

Published on May 9th, 2011 | by Greg

0

EarthPan and Top Knobs: Mother’s Day Gifts For All

Moth­er’s Day can be tough- it’s all to easy to fall back on flow­ers and a card, and maybe some choco­lates. But sat­is­fy­ing your ma­ma doesn’t have to mean tak­ing the nor­mal path, re­peat­ed each year. Per­haps this year (or for the next hol­i­day, like Fa­ther’s Day), you’ll con­sid­er two dif­fer­ent gift ideas for the home.

The Earth­Pan line by Far­ber­ware and Mey­er Cook­ware claims to of­fer an ex­clu­sive eco-friend­ly non­stick coat­ing called Sand­Flow. It’s dish­wash­er safe, good for even high heat cook­ing (600 de­grees), and doesn’t con­tain PTFE or PFOA (per­flu­o­rooc­tanoic acid) both of which have been shown to be of po­ten­tial harm to con­sumers over time. Ours was the hard an­odized 12-inch skil­let, and we’ve been test­ing it through reg­u­lar use over the last month. Omelets and fried eggs, re­heat­ing left­overs, fry­ing some veg­eta­bles- we sim­mered and stirred and came away a lit­tle dis­ap­point­ed.

Cer­tain­ly, the pans look nice, and feel pret­ty sol­id. The han­dles are good, but the pan is fair­ly light weight- for those used to cast iron, it might come as a nice sur­prise to be able to lift a pan eas­i­ly. In fact, the han­dle can seem a bit over­weight ver­sus the pan. Cook­ing isn’t as even as cast iron, but the high sides are con­ve­nient for some flip­ping.  And at first, we al­so liked the non­stick coat­ing. It didn’t per­form as well as, say, Swiss Di­a­mond, but it seemed pret­ty easy to clean. Soon, though, the coat­ing seemed to dis­si­pate and more and more oil or but­ter was re­quired- eggs be­came hard­er to make and flip and we had to chip away at items as the sur­face ap­peared in­creas­ing­ly marked. This was un­for­tu­nate- even though the price is de­cent at $45 or so and large sets are avail­able at a dis­count, it won’t be the right item for dai­ly use over time. But for a mom who main­ly us­es larg­er pans, or one who on­ly cooks oc­ca­sion­al­ly, this one might be right on the mon­ey.

An­oth­er al­ter­na­tive is to think dec­o­ra­tive and func­tion­al at the same time. It might seem like a weird idea, but re­plac­ing our draw­er pulls and han­dles has made our lives bet­ter and we wouldn’t wish our old ones on any­one else. Top Knobs makes a wide va­ri­ety of, well, knobs for just about any pur­pose. They of­fer bed and bath col­lec­tions as well, but our ma­jor use was in the kitchen, where our an­cient draw­er pulls de­tached them­selves from the ac­tu­al cab­i­nets any­time you ap­plied pres­sure. Which is to say, any­time you tried to open a door.

We were sent a se­lec­tion from the As­pen col­lec­tion, in­clud­ing back plates, all in var­i­ous styles and shapes and sizes. They of­fer a gi­gan­tic se­lec­tion, and most of ours were sol­id bronze. We es­pe­cial­ly liked the flow­er back plate (even the mount­ing hard­ware can be at­trac­tive), but al­so the unique Twig line of­fered in var­i­ous fin­ish­es. Their oval and cir­cu­lar pulls are sol­id and hefty, though can seem a bit pricey at around $20 per knob. They are meant to last a life­time though, and mount­ing is easy, us­ing stan­dard equip­ment. Avail­able pri­mar­i­ly through show­rooms and deal­ers, but al­so on­line- and they of­fer a unique free sam­ple pro­gram where you pay on­ly ship­ping for three of your choice- a fun way to check out which knobs might be for you.

Tags: ,