all sheexrevisedinsert

Published on July 7th, 2011 | by Greg

0

On Sheex and Truffles

Per­for­mance sheets? Pas­sion fruit jel­lies? We think lux­u­ri­ous bed­ding and gourmet con­fec­tions go hand in hand, and are per­fect for a ro­man­tic sum­mer’s night in (or even a very warm night out). We had a nice break here over the hol­i­day week­end- our Fourth in­clud­ed test­ing out some new and ex­cit­ing prod­ucts, in­clud­ing to­day’s pair­ing.

We ad­mit to be­ing skep­ti­cal of She­ex. The mar­ket­ing ma­te­ri­als are full of sci­en­tif­ic talk and tech­nol­o­gy claims like su­pe­ri­or mois­ture wick­ing and body heat trans­fer, but the ma­te­ri­al is ba­si­cal­ly a mi­crofiber polyester and span­dex blend. Found­ed by two for­mer wom­en’s bas­ket­ball coach­es, the fo­cus is on ath­let­ics. The con­nec­tion seems be a bit vague- the sheets feel and work like ath­let­ic wear, so they’ll help you sleep bet­ter, so you’ll be a bet­ter ath­lete? But we want­ed to try them for our­selves, and have been test­ing out their mi­ni trav­el pil­low andSleep Sax. The for­mer is avail­able in a va­ri­ety of col­ors, while the lat­ter comes in gray, black and (no joke) “su­per cute pink”.

Now, we’re not pro­fes­sion­al ath­letes. For some of our writ­ers, a work­out con­sists of a good ses­sion of Wii Fit, while oth­er are def­i­nite­ly more ac­tive. But ev­ery­one agreed that the ma­te­ri­al in the She­ex felt nice. The pil­low was cozy, and at $25, is a pret­ty good bar­gain. The fab­ric seemed to hold up fair­ly well against sweat and mois­ture, and did in fact seemed to dry quite fast, but we cau­tion that it isn’t as durable against small scrapes and runs it seems- this is bet­ter served as an in­door than out­door pil­low, per­fect for the plane ride but not re­al­ly the camp­ing tent. That goes as well for the the Sax, which is too bad, since it’s min­i­mal weight and nice tex­ture served as a fun al­ter­na­tive to a sleep­ing bag on one very warm evening. But a few twigs and rocks seemed to do a num­ber on it. And while we might not have felt bet­ter per­for­mance with them, they did in fact feel like a cozy and at­trac­tive al­ter­na­tive to cot­ton- per­fect for warmer cli­mates. At $80, it’s a bit pricey for nor­mal in­door use- think snug­gie or mi­crofiber fleece- but al­so didn’t seem ready for out­door use.

Re­gard­less of which type of sheets you have, there is lit­tle sweet­er than find­ing a choco­late on your pil­low. Lan­dru Choco­lates of­fers a wide range of treats, avail­able from their on­line store. We ear­li­er raved about them at the San Fran­cis­co In­ter­na­tion­al Choco­late Sa­lon, where we had got­ten the chance to sam­ple some of their wares. But they sent us more, which was a re­lief for the writ­ers who had not at­tend­ed the Sa­lon and had been threat­en­ing to strike.

As repast and repa­ra­tions, the Wine Jel­lies re­ceived high marks, but all of the jel­lies were amaz­ing- they have three dif­fer­ent sets, each with their own fla­vors. Ev­ery­thing both tastes and is nat­u­ral, and the Pates de Fruits va­ri­eties in­clude pas­sion fruit, rasp­ber­ry, ki­wi, blue­ber­ry in one; chardon­nay, mer­lot, white zin­fan­del and caber­net in the vi­no pack, and an­oth­er group con­sist­ing of man­go, mar­i­on­ber­ry, pineap­ple and straw­ber­ry (the least no­table of the three sets). They are al­so avail­able dipped in choco­late, and run about $15 for 20 pieces- a per­fect gift for most any oc­ca­sion.

No choco­lati­er would be worth their ca­cao with­out some good truf­fles. And there are tons to choose from- ev­ery­thing from Hazel Pra­line to Con­treau and even a very strik­ing and di­vi­sive Cit­rus Chipo­tle Truf­fle. They are avail­able in col­lec­tions, but al­so in­di­vid­u­al­ly- though sad­ly, you can­not pick and choose to cre­ate your own set. Top prize went to some­thing dif­fer­ent and fa­mil­iar at the same time- a Peanut But­ter and Jel­ly Truf­fle and a Berries – Pas­sion Truf­fle that both were ex­cel­lent com­bi­na­tions of juicy sweet­ness and a lit­tle dark choco­late rich­ness. At $18 for a dozen, they are com­pet­i­tive in price with any oth­ers, but are su­pe­ri­or to most any­thing we’ve tried. The pack­ag­ing might not blow you away, but the treats in­side will- we’re def­i­nite fans of Lan­dru. Oh, and we al­most for­got- if caramels are more your speed, the Salt and Pep­per Caramels are among the very best we’ve ev­er had, with sea salt and chili pep­per com­pli­ment­ing a good vanil­la caramel wrapped in re­al­ly good dark choco­late.

Tags: , ,